27th Aug 2022, 5:43 AM

Get free

Get free




> My, that was fast <3.


> A little too bloody fast, in my opinion. It was sheer bedlam earlier- I find it QUITE difficult to believe they've all reached a consensus this quickly.


> I doubt they did. The message reads as carefully engineered; it informs us of their good intentions without revealing anything substantial. It's Marketing 101- they may as well be telling us about the smooth flavor of cigarettes. The "most powerful" voice in the group may be acting as a representative, or...


> ...Perhaps it's a democratic process? Some manner of psychic weight pushing the majority preferred sentiment to the forefront.


> I'm curious what the dissenting thoughts were, then. If this is the message that came through, what suggested messaging did they decide to suppress?


> I can certainly attempt to dig, but it may be messy with an entity like this. Steer things toward the best result... what odd phrasing.


> That's the vague messaging I'm talking about. Best how? Best for who? Best for mankind? Best for the hivemind? Surely they're benevolent- they insist. I suggest digging.


> Step aside then, please, Ms. Walsh.
















> Why is it making that noise?


> I am stressing the hardware quite a bit. Haunt Butterfly... why does that name sound so famil- oh. Oh dear.


> What?


> Our... our plastic trash bag appears to be caught on something.


> Explain.


> They're tethered. They may not be able to escape on their own, but something else is attempting to pull them OUT!


> Can you stop it?


> A tug of war could rip the whole system apart. Or worse, even!


> We canNOT let another mindjacker loose-


> I don't suspect they learned much- they're still referring to you as Temperance, after all...


> Let us just hope they didn't hear you say that <3


> Haunt Butterfly... Haunt Butterfly...


> It's not a name I recall- from the texts or otherwise. Oh, good, it's getting louder.


> I'm not convinced I could stop this if I tried. Whoever this Haunt Butterfly is-


> -May not even be real. At best, I presume it's an alias.


> A new participant in this sordid battle royale, then...?

> Not necessarily. Dear GOD make it st









ERROR
















































"Have fun?"



Average Rating: 5 (6 votes)
Load my Place Save my Place



Will Schrag | Snervalton | Skullrama | John Wood | Tom Axon | David J Wu | Sekwel | Mochi | arbit | Travis Whittaker | Avasraali | Nicolas Arboleya | Trent Brossman | Clotty Cola | TacticOwl | SomeRando | Cyrene DuVent | Swagner | thatbloodypaladin | Opunny | Kat Dixon | Harmony Petersen | ActionKermit | Scott Johnson | Loose Cog | James Nichols



27th Aug 2022, 5:57 AM
Morgenstern
Boost us on TopWebFiction: https://topwebfiction.com/listings/my-delirium-alcazar/

Join my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/matthewmorgan

And while it's no longer an emergency type of situation, I would definitely not say no if you wanted to slip me a tip on the ol' Paypal, help me upgrade from ramen to real food:
https://paypal.me/cactupuncture

I tried to make a Venmo but lol you have to verify via a text, please like I can afford a working phone
27th Aug 2022, 10:24 AM
Macheman7
There's a couple free texting things, I don't know if any of them are stille around. I used to use one on my Kindle- but, they probably exist for computers or not connected to a service plan phones, too. You could try looking into those? I looked into it, and apparently a site called TextFree just does what it says on its site through the login function.
Take care, man. I wish I had more to offer than well wishes and that, but it's dire here too.
27th Aug 2022, 10:33 AM
Morgenstern
oh yeah I don't begrudge anybody for also being broke, these are garbage times we live in

I've taken a swing at a few texting apps/programs but most still require a "base" phone number (verifying a phone number to get a phone number is inherently funny to me, but there it is); I can't remember if Textfree was on the list of ones I tried, but I might give it another shot

Fiverr also requires text verification now, which is funny to me but in a less "ha-ha" way
27th Aug 2022, 6:00 AM
Leah9572
Yes, that was pretty fun. And quite the learning experience, though it'll probably be a while before we figure out exactly what we learned. Thanks for getting us out, btw.
27th Aug 2022, 6:41 AM
27th Aug 2022, 2:30 PM
PurpleKetchup
+1
Pretty sure we could have gotten in better terms if we had more time but...
At least we didn't make a terrible mess out of things. I'll chalk it as a win.
28th Aug 2022, 1:06 AM
Swagner
But was it Haunt that pulled us out, or was it Plaire starting to wake up? Are we tethered to Plaire specifically, or can a choir just hop around willy-nilly?
27th Aug 2022, 6:04 AM
Risk
Fair cop on my wording there. Influence of doing a LOT of polite-but-vague writing for work, I suppose...

Hi again, Haunt! We have even more questions than ever! But yes, it was also fun!

Is it an issue if they totally know your name now?
27th Aug 2022, 6:12 AM
Guest
Was the near-capture predictable to you, or you just threw the Choir in there hoping "something" will happen? If they would actually try to damage the Choir, further fun gain could be compromised, so I'm curious.

(Also, how much revealing of info about you is acceptable?
27th Aug 2022, 6:16 AM
Orphiex
Well that went well!

No, seriously, I feel like that could have gone a lot worse. At least Rill Parsons and Temperance(?) were only able to get some less important bits of information. It could have gotten bad if they'd had a grip on us for longer. And we learned some useful stuff in exchange! I think.

Choirwide poll: should we convey any of this to Plaire when we reconnect? She might find the info useful, but if she slips up with Rill/Temperance and they figure out we're usually riding in Plaire's sidecar, they might try something more intrusive than they have so far. Thoughts?
27th Aug 2022, 6:50 AM
Lieu
I think we should tell her we know that they're NOT vampires but weird aliens, and definetley not mention we got captured by them, specifically? I think she can find a good way to lie, but I'm a liiittle worried knowing they managed to get to US might freak her out in a way that would be noticeable next time they meet.
27th Aug 2022, 9:00 AM
I think it’ll be best to mention what happened in the same way as us mentioning that we jumped at all; that is, mentioning upon her waking up that we want to talk to her about something important later, and then hold onto the information until after she’s escaped from the library and sufficiently calmed down from doing so for her to focus fully on our info. If we just tell her right off the bat, then it’ll only be a distraction for what is still a very dangerous situation. We should still mention that we want to tell her something, but that it can wait until later.

Also for goodness sake, when we convey what we learned we need to do it normally through talking and not beaming the info directly into her brain. Our prior experiments have shown that the process is somewhat uncomfortable for Plaire, and while the computer may have been safe for us it might be a much harder viewpoint for Plaire to comprehend safely.
27th Aug 2022, 9:13 AM
+1 to all of this.
27th Aug 2022, 12:39 PM
BJBlack
Honestly, there's little info that's actionable at all, and I'd say none of it is actionable right now. Let's not dump info on her before we have an idea of how knowing it will help her.
27th Aug 2022, 12:45 PM
The Beardman
How much of the information we gained is compromised? Could have been fed falsehoods if they knew we were in there
27th Aug 2022, 2:19 PM
PurpleKetchup
I think we should inform Plaire of what we experienced, although since most of it doesn't feel urgent we can delay until it becomes relevant/convenient.

Informing her that the Mayor was lurking around the Library earlier may be the most important bit.
Secondly, that she's most definitely not a vampire. But clearly not a generic human. And her eyes are gorgeous but usually you only see them clearly just before she mind-whammies you so...

I still want them to start working together. There's surely a lot to gain from helping them, as long as they accept Plaire as the rightful owner of her house, that is.

27th Aug 2022, 6:40 AM
undeadDreamer
OH GOD THAT WAS TERRIFYING
I wanted to find out more about this, but thanks for pulling us out Haunt.
Remind us not to visit Temperance again.
27th Aug 2022, 3:03 PM
PurpleKetchup
Nah, we'll have to see her again.
Our vague spiel didn't placate her and she sounded quite bitter from our intrusion.
We totally have to apologise better next time.
28th Aug 2022, 12:57 AM
Guest
Apologising is one thing, jumping in her head when she doesn't want that is another.
28th Aug 2022, 3:08 AM
PurpleKetchup
I meant apologising from outside, of course. I don't expect this untethered situation to happen again anytime soon.
And if it does we could try to link to this virtual host... or someone else altogether.
27th Aug 2022, 7:13 AM
quite
27th Aug 2022, 7:48 AM
Alex
surprisingly naive and benevolent, i feel like we are not exactly enemies
27th Aug 2022, 2:34 PM
PurpleKetchup
They have a hidden agenda and don't want anyone to meddle with it.
Plus they're strong enough to enforce that decision.
But they're not working for Mondol behind the scenes and may still accept alliances.
27th Aug 2022, 8:13 AM
pkrankow
(I have considerably less trust for Haunt Butterfly now)

I wonder what Temprence's real identity is...
27th Aug 2022, 9:50 AM
pkrankow
(Is Temperence a "Red"?)
27th Aug 2022, 2:07 PM
PurpleKetchup
I don't think so. Maybe the both of them together could be something akin to a Red, but... not each of them on their own, from how they handled us.
27th Aug 2022, 8:28 AM
Zophah
I was quite sure from the start that Temperance was a title for the tarot theme. I wish we could have known more about the two of them so we could have a more amiable conversation.
27th Aug 2022, 9:09 AM
I’m sure willingly revealing ourselves to them would be seen as a sign of goodwill, and possibly start an alliance seeing as how they’re convinced that we’re benevolent, but I can’t think of a good way to do so that doesn’t harm Plaire. However, once we figure out a good way to get Plaire in the Mayor’s good graces then revealing ourselves might help us and her further along in that. And now we know that having Mayor Parsons as an ally is going to be immensely helpful beyond what we could have expected.
27th Aug 2022, 2:24 PM
PurpleKetchup
Full agreement with confusedMage.
28th Aug 2022, 1:07 AM
Spyder
Full disagreement with confusedMage - we still don't know enough to be able to trust them, and the mayor is coming across to me as straight up evil.
I've got a bad feeling about trying to work with her, maybe that she has absolutely no problems with imprisoning and deleting sapient entities for a start.
Do not trust!
27th Aug 2022, 8:53 AM
Skullrama
Fun is relative. It was definitely interesting.

Did YOU have fun?
27th Aug 2022, 9:20 AM
I'd say so. Don't know if you nabbed us on purpose, but I suppose we should thank you. Lovely talking to you, Haunt, but if Plaire's awake we really should be going. Ta!
27th Aug 2022, 10:00 AM
Frission
So much fun I go "Wheeeeeeeee!" xD
27th Aug 2022, 10:09 AM
Pwzysk
I can't help but think we've unleashed a cognitohazard on the most powerful person in town. Sucks for us, but also well played, I suppose.
27th Aug 2022, 10:18 AM
Macheman7
Not particularly. We made bad decisions while we were gone! How was your day?
27th Aug 2022, 11:09 AM
. . .well Fuck also yeah we had loads of fun we really need to get a better handle on things
27th Aug 2022, 11:39 AM
BJBlack
Well, Haunt, if you're not pissy that we wasted the opportunity you gave us, then our performance must have been satisfactory.

How that could be the case escapes me, as our actions were banal and what we (and the other two) learned doesn't seem like it will result in any acceleration toward your goal.

Fine then. If your boredom was alleviated somewhat, we'll call it a win.

Give our regards to Darkness and Hunger; it's time for us to Return to Plaire.
1st Sep 2022, 5:38 AM
Momerath
+1 to return to Plaire.
27th Aug 2022, 12:02 PM
glitch.exe
Welp, seems like BJBlack knows more than I thought. Don't know how, but it's like he's closer to the wavelength of Morgenstern. I'ma pay more attention to that at least.
31st Aug 2022, 10:37 PM
BJBlack
Thanks for the shout-out. I'll do what I can to live up to this performance.
27th Aug 2022, 3:14 PM
Pantasy
Something to keep in mind with Plaire - seems like there are psychic thingies floating around, we may be one of the more benevolent ones around but at least (Ms Temperance Walsh?) has had several latch onto her. Defense and counterintelligence measures seem to be something the Mayor has implemented, perhaps we should consider budget options for our motley group.

Ah, home sweet home, back to Plaire's head.
27th Aug 2022, 4:46 PM
Golden Astronaut
Why did everyone else not want to make new friends.
That could have gone way better if everyone had been willing to be friendly instead of giving them a suspicious explanation.
But I'm used to being irrelevant.
27th Aug 2022, 4:55 PM
Golden Astronaut
Also, the message that I wrote stated what we do, what our goal is, something to look into as proof of our goal, and how we came to be in that situation.
It answered their questions and attempted to form trust with respect to time constraints.
No wonder I feel irrelevant with me being one of the few who think this way.
31st Aug 2022, 10:57 PM
BJBlack
Make new friends?

The counter-party here wasn't exactly looking for that. They caught a trespasser, imprisoned it, and started interrogating it. Not exactly an easy place to segue into bffs, you know?

I, too, am of the opinion that Parsons and Temperance will come around to us (or the inverse), but trying to push it too fast will backfire. Maybe this interaction could have gone better, but this wasn't too bad.
27th Aug 2022, 11:31 PM
Portal In Time
Yeah Haunt, it was :)

Did you see it unfold? Or was the timing just a coincidence? Thanks for getting us out of the computer prison, by the way.
28th Aug 2022, 2:32 AM
Frission
Tho we made a heccin' adorable computer, not gonna lie :3
28th Aug 2022, 9:03 PM
Hey Haunt, remind your wooden friend that we're coming for them. Them and their little infinity hat. It will be ours someday, mark our words.

Also, you should come hang out with Plaire and the gang more often. After all, you want to face Plaire at her strongest, and what's more powerful than the power of friendship?
29th Aug 2022, 12:48 AM
Snervalton
+1, tell her we're coming for the little infinity hat!
29th Aug 2022, 2:37 PM
ActionKermit
+1 to declaring our attention to steal the hat, the one Plaire got from the thrift store doesn't have the same pizazz
29th Aug 2022, 6:08 PM
31st Aug 2022, 11:07 PM
BJBlack
Going for the hat in the moment back then had a certain appeal, because the girls were being condescending and antagonistic. I'd say that moment's passed.

It was also hella funny — and honestly, it still is — but I oppose maintaining the conflict just for hilarity's sake.

-1.
29th Aug 2022, 12:17 AM
Crestlinger
Yes. Was very entertaining. And informative. May we go back now?
29th Aug 2022, 1:10 AM
Yoshigalxy
where's the "fuck go back" button when you need it?
29th Aug 2022, 11:45 PM
DeVoid
That didn't really do much.
31st Aug 2022, 10:40 PM
Snervalton
Indeed, I'm very disappointed too. Their security measures are really on point and prevented us from learning much.