7th Feb 2022, 5:45 AM

Do old library science, continue forward

Do old library science, continue forward
Bebe (who is, helpfully, already wearing gloves) helps shove what remains of the computer case back under the desk. It's hard to hide the fact that someone cracked the tower open like a ripe fruit, but at least now it's not immediately obvious from the moment one walks into the library and turns right.

While trying to download an infrasound detector on haunted internet, you keep checking your hands--and double checking the bandaged-wrapped hard drive in your pocket. Neither appears to be getting eaten or burned by the weird, powdery residue they contacted, sooo...

at least there's that.

. . .

You very quickly give up on trying to do a GOD DAMN thing with this HORRENDOUS internet. This, this is the real nightmare

"Okay," you finally announce, "Marlow--you brought ghost detecting shit, right?"

He nods, and takes a small, vaguely gun-shaped device out of his coat pocket. "I brought a couple--it was a tough call, but now that I know phantons are real and actually matter..." He points the gizmo outward; it makes a small, low pitch chirping sound as he pulls the trigger. He points it elsewhere. Then a third spot.

"I'm gettin' four phantons above us... 'bout one and a half down here."

"Fuck," Kate mumbles. "We saw that shit on one and a half?"

"Prob'ly the infrasound causing the hallucinations," Marlow points out, "not the phantons. ...Well, I guess it could be the phantons--"

You turn to her. "You saw the big GET OUT message, right?" ...Her expression suggests that she did not. To be fair, it would have been easy to distracted by "...The eyeless people?"

Kate, eyes wide, slowly shakes her head. "Uhhh no? I saw a fucked up frog woman. She did tell me to get out, though."

So you had two completely different hallucinations.

Cool. Cool cool cool.

Deep breath. Don't freeze up but don't get ahead of yourself, either.



Think.



You check a few of your items: your ID, your notepad, your money. None of them seem to have had their writing erased, or even worn away at.

You take out your red pen and do some quick experiments--you write in your notepad. You write on some of the blank papers left in the desk. You write on one of the business cards. You write the word BUTT, you draw a squiggle, you draw a star. It all stays.

"The decay takes time, then," you mutter--mostly to yourself, before you realize everyone is watching and listening to you expectantly. You take a moment to recover and clear your throat before you continue, a little louder: "The... whatever magical bullshit it is that wiped the books isn't instant--it might take hours or even days to start showing hints of fuckery. I'll check my stuff again later just to see if we can narrow it down, but we shouldn't have to worry about it eating our stuff anytime soon. ...Did this place have a card catalog?"

Marlow gestures in the general direction the shadow went earlier.


You nod, and turn to look off into the darkness.


You collectively steel yourselves.




Cici takes the lead as you all begin to head that way.




You do not get very far, your brief journey punctuated by the crash of breaking wood, a distant thud, and the evocative sound of batteries bouncing across a cement floor. The sound, combined with the sudden swing and disappearance of Cici's light, almost sends you straight into a god damn panic attack.

"CICI!"



Son of a biiiiiitch

"Cici, are you alright?!"

"Cici!"

. . .

From the depths beneath the library, Cici's voice echoes back up to you. "...Ow. Guys, it is REALLY dark down here!"

Bebe tries to shine her light down the newly formed hole, but the narrow beam doesn't give Cici much to work with. You can at least confirm that she's down there, though, upright and walking around.

It takes you a second of fumbling, but you manage to pop a Brainsate. And breathe. And not freak out, stop freaking out she's fine it's fine everything is fine

"...Oh, no," Cici says more quietly. "Something's moving."

"Are you still wearing your hat?!" Maybe it's a hallucination maybe it's just the ghost messing with her maybe it's

"Y-Yeah?," she replies from below.

oh


oh no


ohhhohoho noooooo pills need to kick in faster you are not ready for this


Average Rating: 5 (1 vote)
Load my Place Save my Place



Will Schrag | Snervalton | Skullrama | John Wood | Tom Axon | David J Wu | Sekwel | Mochi | Wisp Pandemonium | arbit | Travis Whittaker | Avasraali | Nicolas Arboleya | Trent Brossman | Clotty Cola | TacticOwl | SomeRando



7th Feb 2022, 6:21 AM
Alex
Cici is big, she'll be fiiiiine... I really hope she'll be fine. Maybe bebe should drop her flashlight down so she'll have a light? Are those our only 2 flashlights?

Also, completely unrelated. I recommend we watch more horror movies at home. Having a movie night can make the house feel more like a house, and watching horror movies might make us panic less when we face something like... Our friends eyes disappearing when we take off an aluminum hat.
7th Feb 2022, 6:23 AM
Cass
Provided we can use phone flashlights or we have extra flashlights, it might be good to let Cici use Bebe's flashlight for the moment if she isn't able to get to hers quickly. Although we should also be careful to make sure that said flashlight actually makes it into her hands instead of getting lost as well.

Depending on what it is down there that Cici is encountering, more of the party can jump down to try and gang up on whatever the threat might be. (If it even is a threat at all)
In fact, it might not be terrible for the whole party to head down to said lower level so that everyone stays together and so that the party doesn't get split up. (Physically stronger party members can probably jump right down to gang up on potential threats. Weaker members may wait a bit for things to get more under control before carefully holding onto the ledge and dropping down or letting someone else catch them.)
In the future, we should watch the floor where we're walking. It looks like the place where the floor caved in was worn away already. We may be able to avoid this in the future or even potentially use it to our advantage (getting to lower floors faster, baiting enemies around places where the floor might fall)

Marlow should try to get a phantom reading for the lower level though. If my assumptions are correct, threat is going to be higher on floors furthest from the ground level. Phantoms below ground level may be higher or there may be non ghostly things lurking down there. More data can't hurt.
7th Feb 2022, 2:14 PM
+1 to this. +1 to alllllll of this.I definitely feel like joining Cici is an option, but we want as much information as fast as possible before we make any decisions. I would also trust Cici's judgment on this. If she says she can handle it, she can probably handle it. Maybe drop her a weapon or something, first, though. And don't forget about the tranq darts!
7th Feb 2022, 2:16 PM
Snervalton
+1 to asking Cici if she can handle the situation by herself.
7th Feb 2022, 5:15 PM
BJBlack
+1 to Cass's suggestions.
7th Feb 2022, 6:01 PM
Gutz Grilla
Plus one to all!
7th Feb 2022, 6:28 AM
Beyond other plans that are brewing from the rest of us,

let's ChoirBoost Plaire, make sure she doesn't get a panic attack while the Brainsate is still kicking in
7th Feb 2022, 6:45 AM
Gutz Grilla
Now that's a great idea! Plus one! Big vibes!
7th Feb 2022, 6:48 AM
Pkrankow
Cici too.
7th Feb 2022, 7:17 AM
yeah, if we can give Cici ChoirBoost, let's try too
7th Feb 2022, 9:00 AM
lilWitchPepper
+1 Choirboost
7th Feb 2022, 2:19 PM
+1

It will be okay, Plaire. Cici's tough, and you all have resources. You're really damn smart, and believe it or not, good at thinking under pressure. You've handled shit like this in the dream, you've learned from those mistakes. Use that experience here.

Cici, I don't know if you can hear us, but it's worth a shot. You're strong. Physically, sure, but mentally as well. You have people you care about and who care about you, and right now they need you to keep it together and make it out of there in one piece. You've got this.
8th Feb 2022, 1:02 AM
Spyder
+1 choir boost! Be mellow Plaire, we can find a way to fix this!
7th Feb 2022, 6:58 AM
botany
Maybe it's an animal, which Cici can probably handle.
7th Feb 2022, 6:59 AM
Gutz Grilla
I was about to post a comment on the previous page, then I cut it and refreshed page before posting... yeah.

Any-freakin'-way... First, sending good vibes to Plaire! She'll absolutely need them!

Second, Cici is Cici, she will be fine... I hope. (Not a fan of Vasquezing characters.) But we need to act quickly. Whoever else has a flashlight could shine it down there in the hole, and who is armed with a soaker with salt water goes down there first, and Cici helps them with the landing. Bebe can go last, she's also big.

Better if the whole group is there, absolutely no splitting up.

Just curious, which kind are those flashlights? if they are reasonably big and sturdy, they could be used as melee weapons themselves, if we have nothing else. Just so you know.
7th Feb 2022, 1:20 PM
Gutz Grilla
*Retracting my comment.* The group has ropes, thus risking more people is unnecessary.

The thing about flashlights still stand, in case we get to that point, of course.
7th Feb 2022, 7:29 AM
Frission
Uhhhh have Bebe lean over the hole and shine the light down for Cici? She might be too heavy though. PLAIRE! WHIP OUT THE CELL PHGNE FLASHLIGHT GOGOGOGO~!
7th Feb 2022, 8:24 AM
Limrix
Kate seems like the best person to do this, with high strength and dex.
7th Feb 2022, 2:25 PM
Snervalton
+1 to Kate being the one to lean over the hole and shine the light down.
8th Feb 2022, 1:02 AM
Spyder
7th Feb 2022, 7:47 AM
Limrix
We have rope, right? Or barring that, the puppy car should have some net we can use to get Cici out of there. Send two people to the car if we need to get it.
7th Feb 2022, 8:53 AM
Gigafreak
We don't have time to lash the rope onto something, but we DO have a super-strong ally to hold the rope for us!

First, Marlow checks the phanton readings on the basement (or at least the area around the pitfall down there) while Bebe picks up the rope and drops one end down the pit.
Bebe holds the rope while Kate and Marlow quickly slide down it. Marlow doesn't own a cell phone, but Kate does-- she can use her cellphone flashlight.
I have doubts on Plaire's upper body strength, so Bebe can pick her up and give her a piggy-back ride as she leaps down herself. Then we have three functional lights down there: Kate's phone, Plaire's phone, and Bebe's actual flashlight.
Weapons... Kate has a knife and the flaregun, Bebe has the tranqs, and Plaire has the salted watergun (and OP Strats of Water). I think Cici might actually be unarmed (but, well, having THAT much muscle means she may as well COUNT as a weapon). I don't know what weapons Marlow has, either; if he's unarmed, it may actually be a good idea to have him hold the water gun since he's going down before Plaire.

After we deal with whatever-it-is-down-there (it may not even be an actual threat, though I'm not exactly holding my breath on that), we can regroup and figure out our next step (e.g. locating the flashlight and its runaway batteries, or finding the staircase and moving on, or investigating any promising stuff nearby).
7th Feb 2022, 9:17 AM
OverBern
if we use this, make sure Bebe stands on something tough, since she's going to carry an additional person's weight. like in the doorway.
also kinda wondering about the ability of people to climb a rope while holding the watergun.
7th Feb 2022, 2:17 PM
Snervalton
+1 to making sure Bebe stands on something tough and stable.
7th Feb 2022, 5:13 PM
BJBlack
On the topic of rope, don't trust a human life to any rope that hasn't been checked. Marlow was a maintenance worker for decades, so if anybody could assess what load your rope can bear, he may be the best choice.

Well, if anyone wants to pipe up with, "I go mountain climbing every other month," let them take a look instead. Specialized experience will usually trump general experience.

There may be a risk-assessment to consider. If the choice is trusting a rope with a load you don't know it can carry versus leaving a friend in the den of an unknown creature...

Get all the information you can and use your best judgement. There's nothing more you can do.
7th Feb 2022, 8:52 AM
Zophah
You can do this Plaire! Get some light shining down for CiCi immediately. If CiCi can get her batteries back quickly she’ll have her own flashlight again.
7th Feb 2022, 8:57 AM
Skullrama
Kate is reliable, let's rely on her. Have her do her best to lean into that hole and get light all over the place. If its not helping, let her parkour her ass into there and back Cici up while giving more direct light. Bring some tranqs if Cici doesnt have em.
7th Feb 2022, 9:59 AM
lilWitchPepper
-1 Parkour into the dark
+1 Kate shine a light below

Have Bebe hold Kate's other hand, so she doesn't slip.
7th Feb 2022, 10:10 AM
lilWitchPepper
Let's see if we, the Choir, can shift our perspective to view (at least what's visible in the light) on Plaire's floor, and were Cici is. If we can look at the second floor where Plaire can't see, we might be able to look below without putting Plaire in danger.
7th Feb 2022, 10:21 AM
Snervalton
-1 to anybody jumping down into the dark with Cici.

Throw the rope down to her so she can climb out. The combined strength of the party should be enough to hold her, attach the rope to something if not.

Watch out for weak points in the building from now on.
7th Feb 2022, 12:31 PM
Gutz Grilla
Did we bring our toolbox with us, or the rope? If so, then good idea. It's best if Bebe grabs one end of the rope and stands on a firm spot. Still, it's best if at least one armed person stands guard.

I haven't thought of anyone having brought a rope. If that's the case, I'm "one-minusing" my comment right now.
7th Feb 2022, 12:39 PM
Snervalton
Plaire bought a rope today and put it in the toolbox, see page 202. She also got 2 ropes from the junkyard back on page 101 but I'm not sure how reliable they'd be.
7th Feb 2022, 1:16 PM
Gutz Grilla
Yikes, true! My bad.

So, that's a plus one to throwing the rope and helping Cici climb out!
7th Feb 2022, 3:28 PM
+1 to using the rope we brought, either to bring Cici back up or for one of us to rappel down to her. I’m not entirely sure if it’s worth investigating down in the basement, but either way we shouldn’t split up and if we DO split up it should preferably be in pairs or trios.
8th Feb 2022, 1:05 AM
Spyder
+1 to getting Cici out of the hole, plan "everybody jump into the basement" should only be a last resort
7th Feb 2022, 1:22 PM
OverBern
if you run a rope down the pit, run it across the back of a sturdy book. open the book so one side of the cover dangles into the pit, keeping it from sliding backwards.
7th Feb 2022, 1:24 PM
7th Feb 2022, 3:37 PM
It seems like Cici passed out of sight for a moment in the dark. It’s very unlikely that a ghost or something swapped places with her, but we should use the code phrases we came up with anyways just to be sure. Her hat might have fallen off when she fell, after all, and it’s better to be safe then sorry.
7th Feb 2022, 6:40 PM
Gutz Grilla
Yes, plus one to that... hope it's a free action.
7th Feb 2022, 4:16 PM
Guest
Marlow, I don't think tinfoil hats block infrasound. I don't think the hallucinations are caused by those.
7th Feb 2022, 11:33 PM
Cheshire777
+1, it was confirmed to be ambient electrical signals which were interfered with by the metal. No explanation of why the signals are passively blocked from coming toward the brain from the bottom of the head though.
7th Feb 2022, 5:20 PM
BJBlack
How far down did she drop?

Your options are much different for 10-12 feet (one story) versus 30-36 feet.
7th Feb 2022, 6:49 PM
Gutz Grilla
At the very least, Plaire could attest that Cici is upright and walking around. We should verify, though... if we still have time.

Also, it seems that Cici fell on hard cement floor (ouch).

I've been checking page 66, and Ninelives was once a mining town. So it is full of old, abandoned tunnels and mine shafts. Dunno what exactly we can expect from that, but... well, there's that.
7th Feb 2022, 8:45 PM
Guest
Yeah, but who mines underneath a library? Who builds a library on a tunnel? Shouldn't we be suspecting a basement first?
8th Feb 2022, 1:10 AM
Spyder
Cheap city planners - and anyone who didn't do an underground scan before building and then just figured that filling the hole with concrete would be good enough for government work, etc.? Seriously I can think of a load more - but this is probably just the downstairs basement. That may or may not have tunnels leading into it now . . .
In a word; Bear? I'm not sure if I should be more worried about apparitions of animals right now
8th Feb 2022, 2:08 AM
nicolas arboleya
Ready tranq gun. Bebe should be able to shoot though the hole if there's something with cici. Have atleast one person keep watch on the surrounding area. If this was a trap someone could be watching.
8th Feb 2022, 7:37 PM