6th Aug 2021, 1:51 AM

Have an actual panic attack over deciding to host a potluck, black out and wake up somewhere stupid

Have an actual panic attack over deciding to host a potluck, black out and wake up somewhere stupid
"We are simply not equipped to do this," says a voice. She sounds... young. Even tone, deliberate pronunciation... trying too hard to sound smart. She sounds a little familiar, actually...? "We lost nearly three months in a matter of seconds, this is not working out and it is going to get us all killed if we continue."

"The Choir is holding steady," says a second voice. She sounds... older. Maybe. More mature, definitely, softer but more confident. Where have you heard that word before...? Someone... said it. Recently...? "Three months isn't even the record. If anything, she may be too compatible; she's already doing things the previous host--"

"I don't give a shit about the tricks she can do with the Choir, Haunt," snaps the first voice. Ah, now the detached facade's starting to break. You hear her take a moment to compose herself. Where the fuck ARE you? "Other individuals are competing for this... so-called Choir. ...And the house. And this role, and we barely have the faintest idea what that last part even means because the damned security system fucking retconned that alien out of existence. My depth runs deep, I promise, but this? This is out of my depth, and it's damn sure out of hers. At best this fails and only kills us, at worst we're preventing someone else from actually saving the world."

The second, softer voice (Haunt?) retorts. Who the fuck are these people? "At best we don't fail, Darkness. You know how this Survival Instinct business works better than any of us--you remember what Dr. Finch said--" You cannot possibly remember all these bolded fucking words where the fuck is this place how long have you been out "--She wouldn't have the Choir if she wasn't the prime candidate for--"

"--You can use my sinister codename all you want, Haunt, I actually enjoy it," replies Darkness, as calmly as she can force herself to sound. "Dr. Finch admitted freely to wild speculation and we're no better. I can remember the exact quote for you, if you like, after all that IS what I do--"

"Enough," says a third voice. Huh, this weird cabal illuminati cult whatever the shit it is is all women so far. "This is dumb. Just fucking do it."

"Hunger, it's not as simple as--"

"I SAID," jesus christ this Hunger lady fired up fast "FUCKIN' GO. I'M TIRED OF WAITING. KICK MORE ASS."

"But," stutters Darkness, "we are running the risk of permanently damaging the Choi--"

"KICK. MORE. AAAASS."

This time, it's Haunt who tries to at least pacify the situation. "Hunger--"

"KICK MORE ASS," repeats Hunger. "THIS SUCKS. KICK MORE ASS."

The argument continues like this for a while, with Hunger getting increasingly enraged while Darkness tries to overanalyze everything and Haunt tries to play the peacekeeper--

you realize that nothing is stopping you from speaking.

Or moving, really, you just can't see anything. Or... feel. Anything.

You might be drugged. Like a full body... numbing sort of drug. You think you saw that in a movie once. Stranger things have happened.

Part of you wants answers and part of you frankly gives no shits about any of the nonsense these people are spewing because you have enough nonsense to keep up with already. It really does feel like it's been months, even though it's really only been--

uhh






huh.



You realize that you don't know what time it is.

Or what day.

You kind of just want to go back to sleep and hope this is all a potluck when you wake again.
That feels at least as likely as anything else that's been happening to you.




"KIIIIIIICK

MOOOORE--"

"Hunger, please,"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSS!"


Average Rating: 5 (4 votes)
Load my Place Save my Place



Will Schrag | Snervalton | Skullrama | John Wood | Tom Axon | David J Wu | Sekwel | Mochi | arbit | Travis Whittaker | Avasraali | Nicolas Arboleya | Trent Brossman | Clotty Cola | TacticOwl | SomeRando | Cyrene DuVent | Swagner | thatbloodypaladin | Opunny | Kat Dixon | Harmony Petersen | ActionKermit | Scott Johnson | Loose Cog | James Nichols



6th Aug 2021, 2:20 AM
Leah9572
With lack of any other ideas due to the confusion... pinch your cheeks? And if that doesn't do anything, maybe complain about the noise they're making?
6th Aug 2021, 12:14 PM
Guest
I think these meta stuff are mostly morgenstern venting out the stress of writing a comic. Hunger being the voice telling him to just write another page of the comic without worrying, and darkness is the fear of making the readers leave the comic cause it's gotten weird.
6th Aug 2021, 2:26 AM
YetAnother
It's okay, Plaire. This shit may be weird, but your house is wierder, and you held up where others failed. You can do this. Now, you should wake up, and kick some ass! Erm, figuratively for now. Make that potluck count!
6th Aug 2021, 2:37 AM
Lunar Waffles
i feel like these are the "witches"? if we can communicate with them that would solve a lot of problems. also, the Choir being damaged would explain why WE don't remember them.
7th Aug 2021, 6:38 PM
Another Guest
6th Aug 2021, 3:26 AM
undeadDreamer
Say "can somebody tell me what the fuck is going on?"
And if you can get this message "The choir requests that you do not permanently damage us without our consent"
6th Aug 2021, 3:39 AM
+1 to this completely . . .Also someone put a leash Hunger or at least get "her" to say something else
6th Aug 2021, 4:19 AM
Lunar Waffles
+1, to both above
6th Aug 2021, 12:17 PM
Snervalton
+1 to asking what the fuck is going on and to requesting that the choir not be damaged without its consent.
6th Aug 2021, 2:19 PM
PurpleKetchup
The blood shall protect the Choir.



The blood, the blood, the blood...
7th Aug 2021, 8:10 AM
Pkrankow
Good queestion. Wtf is going on.

Respect the choir
6th Aug 2021, 4:13 AM
Cuttlefish
If we can't make contact, we should do our best to try memorize the bolded words we've overheard for when we wake up.
7th Aug 2021, 6:39 PM
Another Guest
6th Aug 2021, 4:46 AM
1011686
Testing, 1, 2, 3, hey Haunt, Darkness and Hunger, can you hear this? We're willing to cooperate with you on saving the world and all, but we're still mostly in the dark here about a lot of things. What say you about an information exchange?
Also Plaire, this is just a weird intrusive thought you don't need to pay any attention to, you're probably just dreaming or something.
6th Aug 2021, 7:07 AM
Limrix
You see The Choir as a series of intrusive thoughts that like to think they're useful.
We are outside looking in, and think we may know the owners of these voices.

"Edison?"
"We've missed you all. A lot. What's the sitch?"

I think it's important that we take advantage of this chance to talk to these facilitators of the choir. They might be able to provide valuable insight into what's really going on. We as the choir might have to have a chat with Plaire after this to help us both sort this out afterwards.
6th Aug 2021, 9:59 AM
Pwzysk
Oh my, it is the ghost girls, isn't it. Hunger is Edison, and I'm going to say Haunt is Tesla and Darkness is Faraday. However, I don't think just coming out and saying "hey we know who you guys are" would be very sporting of us. I think we should try to get them to divulge that information to Plaire.
6th Aug 2021, 7:23 AM
Limrix
Also, Plaire, I know this is surprising and a lot to take in. You're interacting with the meta world. I don't know how, but you are, and it seems like these ladies have something to do with it.

Also, to them, the Choir would appreciate if you didn't break our interface. We enjoy interacting with your world and would sorely miss it.
6th Aug 2021, 7:41 AM
AlphaExile
While I'm glad we are back, I think I got whiplash... What the heck?

If we haven't woke up yet we should try to communicate. Maybe ask about the countdown if we can get to that point.
6th Aug 2021, 9:19 AM
nicolas arboleya
Well if your bound and blindfolded theres only 2 things i see we can do... wet self which may tell everyone in the room you are awake or hold breath till we turn blue, iether someone notices and maybe talks to us or we pass out and wake up somewhere less horrid
6th Aug 2021, 9:57 AM
Waldo
Three of them, and they're connected to the Finch, interesting.
6th Aug 2021, 10:19 AM
Willowwhip
Get fired up to kick more ass after the potluck
6th Aug 2021, 12:44 PM
Honestly? I'm siding with Hunger. But maybe not in the sense they're after. If we can move, struggle. See what happens.

Either way this update was amazing. Just wanted to throw that out there.
6th Aug 2021, 2:18 PM
PurpleKetchup
It's time.

1) Interrupt them.
2) KICK
3) MORE
4) ?
5) AAAASSSS!
6th Aug 2021, 7:41 PM
BJBlack
+1!

KICK MORE ASS needs to be this comic's motto. It beats chanting about the blood, in my book.
7th Aug 2021, 6:39 PM
Another Guest
6th Aug 2021, 2:32 PM
The Choir can debate it's way out of anything. The only thing The Choir fears is silence. Let Darkness hear us - w͒͏̹e̘͗͘'̭͗̕r̩͛͟e̊͏̬ ͪ͏̭n̵͎̒o̸̙͗t̶̫̎ ̶̟͊g̶̤͒i̡̥̎v̴̀ͅi̧͚ͭn̷̰ͥg̷͕͋ ̦̋͘u̶̦ͦp̲̓̕.̭ͬ͘
6th Aug 2021, 2:52 PM
This isn't a big reveal, but Plaire is clearly in the narrative but not tied to it. That's why she can notice things we can (bolded text, the passage of real-world time, the absence of concrete time-frames right now) but she is also limited to our perception (she can't see because we can't see, etc.).
6th Aug 2021, 3:20 PM
PurpleKetchup
I'm guessing that's one of those "tricks" - she (unknowingly, so far) taps into our perception in real-time.
6th Aug 2021, 3:25 PM
foxoftheasterisk
...
+1 to going back to sleep and waking up in a potluck?

(I don't understand if this is canon or not, or if I'm interpreting this correctly if it's not, but if you're thinking about skipping a few scenes because it'll make it easier for you to write? Go for it.)
6th Aug 2021, 3:27 PM
The Beardman Cometh!
Speak up and politely (as you can because a lot of bullshit has occurred) ask for details about what the actual hell is happening

It's important to ask what the fuck they're about to do to you, that seems like relevant information so ask about that at LEAST

Also fourth wall heist!

.....should we invite them to the potluck?
6th Aug 2021, 8:55 PM
Pkrankow
6th Aug 2021, 4:56 PM
zophah
I love this comic and these people that help it grow. =)
6th Aug 2021, 8:54 PM
Pkrankow
Check date and time on phone (I dont think we can, the whole see and move thing)

Acknowledge time may move differently for different existances

Ask advice?
6th Aug 2021, 9:36 PM
Antarean
Hey, is the image on this page a Magic Eye or something? I think I might've seen, "HELP," a few times, but I've never been good with those and now I can't see it.
7th Aug 2021, 2:48 AM
PurpleKetchup
Hmm, I checked all 3 frames of the gif independently and couldn't lock on anything... Feels like random noise.
6th Aug 2021, 9:39 PM
Lycaella
Are we the Choir? Is Plaire aware of us right now?
7th Aug 2021, 4:01 AM
If these entities are in contact with Dr. Finch, then I think the best course of action is clear:

Give them Plaire's cell phone number, and ask them to pass it along. (And maybe ask if we can get his number, too). We probably won't get to talk to these folks very long, but if we can open lines of communication with the good doctor, then we can by extension communicate with these people again, too. (And naturally, contacting Finch is a big score in and of itself).

Also, I think it's pretty clear that we're the Choir. It seems like this might be a good moment for us to directly communicate with Plaire; given how odd the current situation is, hearing from the extra-dimensional entities that are guiding her life has minimal risk, I think. The best way to go about it would be if we all agreed on one message, I think. Something heartfelt and fun, maybe, like, "We're big fans of yours, Plaire! Keep making friends and, like your new friend says, kick more ass!"

7th Aug 2021, 9:15 AM
Pacifist Weird Child
Uhhh. Perhaps this is a sort of sleep paralysis? If so, we should slowly start moving our fingers and toes, which tells our body it's time to WAKE UP.
7th Aug 2021, 11:06 AM
Another Guest
Ok... just
what
the
what

WHAT

(A proper comment after I go beyond my current mental state after the current situation)
7th Aug 2021, 11:51 AM
Another Guest
Ok, one comment per level of meta:

We have codenames, a (real?) name and an amount of information without much context, but they mentioned the house, and a role, so this somehow is related to Plaire's house. Of everything mentioned, the most new piece of info is about the Choir.

The main problem here is that even if Plaire asks for anything and the trio hears her, we don't know what they will do, so what we need is a good enough action that lets us to engage in dialogue with at least one of them or Dr. Finch, something that gives us an opening.

We need a Frodo moment. And honestly, this is still less of a problem than Plaire's family, and she managed to get out of that hell. SO.

"I will protect the house. And save the world, too, I don't want it to end.
But I can't do it without help, so can you three pleeeeease help me so I can KICK SOME ASS?".
7th Aug 2021, 12:58 PM
PurpleKetchup
+1, sounds good to me.
7th Aug 2021, 12:00 PM
Another Guest
"We lost three months in a matter of seconds" the latest update was on May, so May -> June -> July -> August - 3 months. Are we the Choir?

Can we, in this dream-like state, interact with what's going on there? Clair is working as a window between them and us? I agree with Smileyfax, but not with who we should talk. Can we talk with the trio?

...

If we can, it would need to be something big. We have been so far a lot of voices that join toward good action possibilities. Like a Schrodinger's observer toward an unknown box, trying to avoid dead cats. Or dead worlds, but the cacophony can make them not hear something understandable.

And I don't think we can talk with the trio at once, we can't please them all. So, we have three communication possibilities to -

"Giving up"
"Keep going but more info"
"KICK SOME ASS"

Honestly, we heard the warning of damage. Knowing which kind of damage would be useful, but as long we have some forewarning we should be fine to avoid it? So, seriously?

KICK
SOME
ASS.
7th Aug 2021, 7:18 PM
Snervalton
I don't think this update is to be taken literally. Rather, the trio of entities speaking here represent tendencies within Morgenstern that are pulling him in different directions. Hunger represents a burning desire to put out updates of the comic more regularly(to KICK MORE ASS!!!). Darkness represents a tendency to delay by over-analysing, which gets in the way of updating. Haunt tries to mediate between those two tendencies. When Matt writes that "We lost nearly three months in a matter of seconds, this is not working out and it is going to get us all killed if we continue.", he's telling us that writing this comic is putting a significant strain on him.

We can help him with this by getting him more financial support. Research shows that poverty exacerbates mental illness. If all of us went to his patreon and pledged whatever we could afford to give on a regular basis, and promoted this comic everywhere to everyone we knew, we could make a significant difference. We could help to get him to a place where he could do this comic(or whatever other project he wanted) full time and with a lot less stress. It's the least we all could do if we want regular updates to this fantastic story.
7th Aug 2021, 9:10 PM
Snervalton
Edit: Absolutely no judgement on people who legitimately cannot afford to do so.
8th Aug 2021, 3:53 AM
Luminous Lead
I like Hunger's energy XD
15th Sep 2021, 3:53 PM
JiggilyJoe
I stared at that static image for probably way too long, but I swear I can see a figure walking, and it kinda looks like they are walking a dog? Maybe, I'm just imagining things, but I swear it's there.