7th Dec 2020, 10:21 PM

Ask Cici for advice

Ask Cici for advice
"So uh"

you begin to frantically text BIG POSSUM WHAT DO to Cici

"--I think it's a huge opossum."

. . .

"Are you sure?" The bus asks with such a... disconnected, professional tone that in the midst of such an absurd moment, you almost laugh. She asks the question like you're agreeing to a terms of service or exiting from an app.

"Yeah I'm pretty confident," you state quietly. "It's definitely some kind of... rodent, or marsupial or something, it's just mutated to fuck. ...Do you have any kind of protocol or like, procedure you're supposed to go through for this, or--"

"I need to update. One moment, please."

. . .

Well shit.

Your phone boops at you to signal a new text and you nearly scream.

Cici's text: YELL AT IT

. . .

Second text: THEYRE MORE AFRAID OF U THAN U R OF THEM

You take a deep breath

and quickly type back CICI IT IS THE SIZE OF A CAR

. . .



The bus' headlights go out

followed by the interior lights

and then the engine turns off.



You sit in both silence and darkness for a terrifying two whole seconds before the screen in front of you flashes the words

"Please remain calm. This is the recommended procedure."

and you actually breathe again.


The mutant possum does not just magically go away, though.

It stops hellscreaming and instead begins wandering up to the bus.





Closer now, you can see vague masses squirming beneath the matted hide of the creature. You also realize that the chunk of bone jutting out of its chest is almost sort of smaller-possum-skull-shaped.

You phone boops. You definitely also make a noise this time.

The awful possum stops sniffing at the bus and instead stares blankly at nothing because it has no normal eyes while the huge fuck-off eye in its mouth just looks all over the place in a way that would honestly be disconcerting in any context but is doing a REAL god damn doozy HERE


the text says B SLOW B SUBTLE THROW SMTHING TO DRAW ITS ATTNTION OR SCARE IT


You take

a very long, slow breath, like it could be your last one because hell,

You carefully

cautiously

hesitantly

rise from your seat.

You retrieve one piece of candy from the maybe half a bag in your pocket.

You wait for the monster to not act like it's staring right the fuck at you before you lower one of the bus' windows--


and you throw the candy.


The creature stops


and jerks, slightly, when the candy hits the pavement.



You hold you breath as you watch, wide eyed.



It begins to wander off, toward the candy.



You let it get as far as you think it's going to go before, through gritted teeth, you very flatly request the bus to

"Fuckin' gun it."

The second the engine kicks back on the mutant is back to screaming but you give zero shits, absolutely none because the bus is getting the hell out of here. The obstruction does not give chase.


You breathe, hard. With slightly numb hands, you text Cici back to thank her and tell her you're on your way.


By the time you can manage to speak again, you have about two blocks left. You finally decide to bring it up. "I... feel kind of weird just calling you The Bus? How do you feel about nicknames, or... like... I was thinking," despite how much you practiced this in your head, it is still an incredibly hard topic to approach, "maybe... Cherry...? Because, y'know, it... it uh... sorta sounds like Chariot...?

"You can call me whatever you like, Plaire."

oh no

you survived the giant rat only to be killed by the bus

you are dead, rip

Bad End

Game Over



Not really but you are dead silent and (you suspect) bright red the entire rest of the trip. Seriously, she should not be allowed to drop a line like that out of nowhere in her husky confident adult lady voice, it just

hoo

yikes

yowza bo bowza you were not ready

You thank the bus quickly and awkwardly and escape the moment you reach the stop, barely absorbing the directions she gives you to reach the theater (and promptly starting to walk the wrong direction before you realize it and have to turn around like a goof)

You walk the remaining distance between the bus stop and the Schiddy Cineplex (which, from a distance, you can see the sign; that is, in fact, the official name of the business in question). You stay under the street lights as much as you can, now quite wary of colossal vermin but managing to power through with the power of Brainsate and not because you're too busy being hot for robot voices to worry about anything else.



Eventually

you reach the Shittyplex.



Average Rating: 5 (3 votes)
Load my Place Save my Place



Will Schrag | Snervalton | Skullrama | John Wood | Tom Axon | David J Wu | Sekwel | Mochi | arbit | Travis Whittaker | Avasraali | Nicolas Arboleya | Trent Brossman | Clotty Cola | TacticOwl | SomeRando | Cyrene DuVent | Swagner | thatbloodypaladin | Opunny | Kat Dixon | Harmony Petersen | ActionKermit | Scott Johnson | Loose Cog | James Nichols | Leafia Barrett



7th Dec 2020, 10:39 PM
Compassion
Thank Cici!!! Maybe hug her if Plaire feels like it! Then do the Drug Deal probs
7th Dec 2020, 10:47 PM
Yes! Talk about the mutant rats or something too, idk. Be... relatable, because Lagi needs to trust us if we want to get more brainsate.
7th Dec 2020, 10:48 PM
Guest
That must be our man. He's got Brainsate, we've got Level, and Kate's able to ensure we get a fair deal. Now that we've thrown a piece of candy at Cerberus' Own Escaped Chew Toy (Screaming), there is nothing in the world to stop us from... dealing drugs.

Plaire's life is so fucking weird right now.
7th Dec 2020, 10:54 PM
I agree with everything in this statement also we should go home with Cici because baring a wolf pack nothing is going to fuck with us if she is around
7th Dec 2020, 10:53 PM
I didn't know Tuong Lu Kim owned a Movie theater
7th Dec 2020, 10:59 PM
LeRageFace5
how are things going between Kate and Lagi? are they cool, or is he pissed or paranoid about waiting?
7th Dec 2020, 11:02 PM
Snervalton
Yes, get a feel for the interaction then, if it feels relaxed enough, approach and get down to business. +1 to telling a relatable story about giant mutant animals.
7th Dec 2020, 11:10 PM
BloodyPaladin
7th Dec 2020, 11:15 PM
Gigafreak
Offer a full name, and see if he's willing to share his-- so that we can see if we can use whatever-his-tarot-is in the dream. (Don't press too hard if he doesn't give it, though! We don't necessarily have a lot of goodwill to spend!)
Though, Plaire's ID card identified her as the Fool even while she was channeling the Devil. It seems like we don't actually have a simple way to tell WHICH tarot we're channeling via the ring. Hm.
8th Dec 2020, 4:24 PM
Rahnum
This would scream cop to me -1 No one naturally goes all in with their name.
8th Dec 2020, 6:08 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna say -1 on the full name just because that would come off as *weird.* At best, it would make us look *incredibly* stupid and naïve, and at worst, suspicious.
7th Dec 2020, 11:00 PM
Snervalton
"BIG POSSUM WHAT DO" belongs right up there with "We're gonna need a bigger boat!"
7th Dec 2020, 11:01 PM
Laurel
Obtain comfort in whatever way Plaire would, then get on with the drug deal. I second all the other suggestions. Being relatable is important.
7th Dec 2020, 11:04 PM
Pwzysk
I can't decide if Sexy Bus would be a more or less useful dungeon companion than Regular Bus.
7th Dec 2020, 11:05 PM
Snervalton
Sexy Bus just has a higher charisma score.
8th Dec 2020, 4:34 AM
PurpleKetchup
Why not both?
7th Dec 2020, 11:06 PM
Considering that in our nervous state, we are probably Walking Like a Cop again, we should probably open with something like "OH MY GOD you guys the bus was attacked by a fucking *mutant opossum*"

This will very much explain our Walking Like a Cop, and it would provoke sympathy, which is generally a good way to enter a conversation. Also because those would probably be the actual first words out of my mouth in this situation.
7th Dec 2020, 11:27 PM
BoredOne
We weren't quite ATTACKED, but otherwise decent idea.
8th Dec 2020, 3:14 AM
Lunar Waffles
+1 to frantic blurting
8th Dec 2020, 3:12 AM
YetAnother
Politely inquire HOW THE FUCK THESE PEOPLE SURVIVE HERE WITH FUCKING MONSTER POSSUMS ATTACKING BUSSES
8th Dec 2020, 4:33 AM
PurpleKetchup
Well technically it didn't attack the bus per se... and it's rare enough that Cherry wasn't up-to-date on the proper response. Could be random happenstance.

Unlike next time, of course.
8th Dec 2020, 7:11 AM
Frission
Alright, calm down Plaire. Deep breaths. You are a lovable colossal dork but now is not the time to be a colossal dork, now is time for srs game face rawr. You can do this! Go up there, be a confident not-goof and don't laugh, dammit Plaire you're laughing aren't you I'm trying to give you a pep talk here reeeeeeeeeeeeeee~ *hug*
8th Dec 2020, 10:31 AM
Snervalton
+1 for srs game face rawr!
8th Dec 2020, 7:37 AM
BJBlack
Everybody's all excited about getting Brainsate, but also consider getting info about it. What's the recommended dosage for a short, underweight girl? You've been taking it to suppress symptoms as they arise, but is the recommended delivery to take X pills per day to prevent symptoms? If you end up dependent on it, what will withdrawal be like?

okay so you could be dead in ten days even barring murder by murder opossum so withdrawal might not be so pressing a concern

There is, of course, the chance that Lagi just wants profit here, and subtly (or not-so-subtly) pushes you to take as much as possible, to sooner sell you more. But there's also the possibility that he's some sort of medical savant, who has to help people like this, 'cause dystopia.

Also, might as well ask about Somniplan. Dunno if you actually want to buy any, but learning about it couldn't hurt.
8th Dec 2020, 12:01 PM
Hari_Seldon
+1 ask for info about Brainsate and Somniplan.
8th Dec 2020, 2:07 PM
Snervalton
There may be better sources of information than your local dealer of street drugs, but yeah, we should probably seek out that type of information eventually.
8th Dec 2020, 7:27 PM
BloodyPaladin
8th Dec 2020, 10:38 AM
Pacifist Weird Child
OH GOSH IT'S THE BIOPRINTERS THALE WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

Is Thale working for Mondol? PLEASE tell me they don't have access to bioprinters. (We don't have any alien blood to defend ourselves with anyway...)

Let's talk to Kate, go inside, and try to find the druggy dude. And not get attacked by a giant bioprinter-turned-flesh-monster.
8th Dec 2020, 6:12 PM
Pretty sure it's just a mutation thing-- we've heard about mutant animals in the area, and we know from BiM that giant horrific rodents occur entirely naturally (or as close to "naturally" as a giant rodent can get) in areas of heavy pollution such as the lower tiers. Since this town is ground-level, there's gonna be a certain amount of mutant wildlife just occurring spontaneously.

If it were bio-printed, it probably would be more fleshy and less furry-- bioprinters are made for *human* parts, and humans don't have fur. Furriness isn't consistent with any of the bioprinted beasties we saw in BiM. (Unless there's some kind of veterinary bioprinter going haywire XD)
8th Dec 2020, 1:36 PM
I am now on Team Chaire.
5th Dec 2022, 2:59 PM
impia
I know I'm late but I had to say, I LOVE how flustered Plaire gets with Cherry (and women in general but especially Cherry). V relatable