18th Nov 2019, 4:10 PM
Grab a torch and head left

 <<First     Latest>>   

Grab a torch and head left
You grab a green-flamed torch from the wall before creeping cautiously down the left side of the hallway.

You peek through the bars of various cells as you pass them. You don't see much, at first: a bed frame in one cell, a full bed but with tattered, dirty sheets in another, an entirely empty cell, another with a huge leak in it... etc. You check a few of the doors, and they all seem to open with no issue; yours may have been the only one actually locked.

However, the fourth door on your right manages to grab your full attention. Waiting just past another huge crack in the ceiling where sludge continues to pour, beyond its bars--sitting against the back wall of the cell--is a dead body.

At least, you assume it's dead.

You hope they're dead, because something has happened to them and whatever the hell that is, you're not sure you're comfortable with the prospect of living through it. The person's face is so bloated up with... tumors? With bulbous growths that you can't even see a face anymore.

Embedded in their... chest, probably, wedged in between the folds of bloated tissue is a long knife. Its handle is wrapped in what vaguely (from this distance) resembles police tape.




 <<First     Latest>>   


Rate this comic:

X X X X X
average rating: 5

18th Nov 2019, 4:41 PM
Mochi
go forth and retrieve your weapon!
18th Nov 2019, 4:47 PM
Xylas_Incarnum
5 meta bucks says removing the weapon wakes up/revives what it's stuck in.
... eh, fuck it. +1
18th Nov 2019, 4:54 PM
better idea use the torch to lite it on fire to make sure its dead then retrieve the "knife" from the burned corpse remains
18th Nov 2019, 8:46 PM
better idea use the torch to lite it on fire to make sure its dead then retrieve the "knife" from the burned corpse remains
18th Nov 2019, 8:46 PM
better idea use the torch to lite it on fire to make sure its dead then retrieve the "knife" from the burned corpse remains
18th Nov 2019, 5:05 PM
Defs right on that, Xylas. But hey, free weapon!
18th Nov 2019, 5:29 PM
Is this the safest, best play that works to our best strengths and gives us the greatest chance for survival based on our current knowledge? Probably not.

Let's do it, +1.
18th Nov 2019, 6:11 PM
Heroshima
+1, but set the body on fire first. hopefully it won't result in an angry flaming monster attacking us
18th Nov 2019, 6:48 PM
I agree with Xylas. Dark Souls III Iudex Gundyr, anyone?
18th Nov 2019, 7:06 PM
Japster
-1 The knife is literally wrapped in tape reading "DO NOT ENTER"
18th Nov 2019, 4:41 PM
I think we should keep looking around before we mess with that body and knife.
That does not look like good news.
18th Nov 2019, 4:46 PM
Whomever slew it, probably left the knife there for a reason. Maybe this is one of those horror movie monsters that jerks to life as soon as the weapon is removed from its body, or maybe those weird tumor growths could burst into toxic liquid or gas if the body is disturbed. Either way, it seems risky to remove-- especially since we aren't actually sure the thing is dead.
18th Nov 2019, 7:03 PM
18th Nov 2019, 5:55 PM
18th Nov 2019, 7:36 PM
Agreed. Either burn it to cinders first, making sure to hide behind the door in the process; or preferrably just leave it alone.

...Plus whatever it has might be contagious, which uh. Don't want that.
18th Nov 2019, 4:43 PM
YetiOlwen
Burn it to be sure it's dead. Take no chances.

Only if we decide to go near it that is. Otherwise barricade the door anyway we can if we decide to not touch it.
18th Nov 2019, 4:49 PM
18th Nov 2019, 4:45 PM
throw something at the body to check if its dead, if yes cautiously throw the torch at the body to burn it don't want to get infected by whatever the dead fella went through
18th Nov 2019, 4:51 PM
This situation actually reminds me of Dead Cells lore now.
18th Nov 2019, 6:13 PM
It also has similarities to Oswald of Carim and Champion Gundyr, NPCs you find early on in Dark Souls 1 and Darks Souls 3 respectively.
19th Nov 2019, 6:05 AM
18th Nov 2019, 4:56 PM
Kumondo
The way I see it, there is no good reason to go into that cell to retrieve that machete. The body is clearly a hazard, whether it's really dead or not; either it could spring to life and attack, or we could get infected with what it's got. Secondly, we do not want to get into any fights to begin with, but our torch should suffice for the time being. Thirdly, and this might be a bit meta, but what we can see of the weapon is literally labeled "do not". Nothing with text has steered us wrong in here so far, and I'm willing to bet that won't change now.

Tl;dr, the risk is not at all worth the reward to try and take the knife. Best to move on and keep exploring.
18th Nov 2019, 7:04 PM
Japster
Yeah, "DO NOT ENTER" is a pretty clear warning
18th Nov 2019, 8:36 PM
18th Nov 2019, 4:57 PM
YetiOlwen
So any thoughts as to what that police tape actually says. Because on further inspection it might be saying "do not destroy"

In which case I might retract my pyromaniac response
18th Nov 2019, 5:42 PM
It's probably "do not unwrap this from what it's wrapped around" and you can't read it without unwrapping it.
It's a bit too early to die, let's explore a bit more.
18th Nov 2019, 4:58 PM
Yeah, just grabbing that knife seems like a *bad* plan. Maybe we can chuck another torch at the thing, if we grab another one? Let's not chuck our *only* torch, though.

We really need to find a ten-foot pole... I hate adventuring without one.
18th Nov 2019, 5:02 PM
hellishfreeze
Ask if they want some help. Worse case scenario: you find out they aren't dead a little sooner. Best case: that's a new friend; and you'll be darned if pursuing relationships in dangerous places isn't literally your job and/or primary hobby at this point.
19th Nov 2019, 10:11 AM
+1 to obtaining tumor friend
20th Nov 2019, 2:19 AM
You know what, +1. Let us greet the tumor friend. If they don't respond, *then* we torch them, because they are not in fact a friend and we need that knife. And if that goes okay, we acquire knife.
18th Nov 2019, 5:16 PM
Let's not touch the weird body.
Maybe call out softly, to see if it is in fact still alive and conscious, but don't just run in! Whatever caused it to look like that might even be contagious!
18th Nov 2019, 5:27 PM
I would be cautious about burning the body. The heat may cause the whatevers on the person's face to burst or expel something that we might not want expelled.
18th Nov 2019, 5:27 PM
Leafia_Barrett
Yeah that don't look healthy at all. Leave the door shut. We should at least make some kind of attempt to see if it's breathing and friendly, but only the one "Hello?" before we move on.
18th Nov 2019, 8:37 PM
18th Nov 2019, 5:31 PM
acquire new corpse friend
18th Nov 2019, 6:14 PM
Seek insight. Dead Lad clearly has eyes on the inside.
18th Nov 2019, 7:40 PM
Lunar Waffles
it could be another contestant from another world? Plaire could look just as ugly to them as it does to her x:
+1 to check if they're still alive and/or making friends before proceeding.
18th Nov 2019, 10:08 PM
Frission
Maybe call out to it first, just in case?
18th Nov 2019, 11:30 PM
Limrix
+1, then if that doesn't work, do the fiery hidey manuver.
19th Nov 2019, 3:59 AM
I think we should see if the sludge is flammable. There are a lot of issues we'll need to consider if it is (and a number of possible solutions to hostiles if it is as well).

Also it might be better to check the other doors before possibly waking up something hostile and then realizing we don't have anywhere to go (we'll have to come back on the way to check the other side of the cells anyway).
19th Nov 2019, 4:34 AM
The about-page said we are in the same setting as BiM.
That means mutants exist here.
That means everyone could be a mutant.
Maybe Plaire is a mutant, whatever is in this cell is a mutant, mutants everywhere.
20th Nov 2019, 2:01 AM
Morgenstern
Update's going to be late because of what I assume are hosting issues