15th Nov 2019, 5:39 PM
Try the numbers in a different order

 <<First     Latest>>   

Try the numbers in a different order
You think about the numbers you have, and the books you didn't use, and the eccentricities that still feel like clues.

You begin inputting the numbers in a different order. By the time you're halfway through cycling the second part of the sequence, the green-black sludge has risen past the locking mechanism. No longer able to see the numbers you're putting in, you're forced to remember what they were previously and carefully count up or down to the new numbers. It's increasingly difficult, and the substance still filling the room only makes it harder to concentrate as you blindly fumble for the dials.


You input 91-60-14-44-79.


...


Nothing hap--

The water muffles any sound the door was supposed to make, but this time it gives when you push on it. You and the sludge go rushing out the door, and you are spilled unceremoniously onto the floor of the hall outside.



The hall appears to stretch on a great distance to your left and your right. There's a lot of doors lining this hallway, all resembling cell doors like the one you just tumbled through.

The only sound you hear is dripping and rushing water, both behind you and farther down the hall in either direction. At the very least, you don't imagine an area this size flooding any time soon; it all just adds a general, uncomfortable dampness to the air.

 <<First     Latest>>   

   

Rate this comic:

X X X X X
average rating: 5

15th Nov 2019, 6:00 PM
Morgenstern
I'm planning to take weekends off for this one, so I'll see you guys monday

unless you're on discord, I'll still be there too
15th Nov 2019, 8:40 PM
*AGGRESSIVE HUG* ENJOY YOUR WEEKEND
16th Nov 2019, 5:35 AM
That's an order, btw. We'll require proofs of enjoyment. Unsatisfactory marks will result in extra days off until appropriate enjoyment has been obtained.
15th Nov 2019, 6:03 PM
run like heck to the nearest way upstairs
15th Nov 2019, 6:04 PM
Great idea!

For Monday: See if we can't take one of those torches and examine the rooms as we go to the left.
15th Nov 2019, 6:06 PM
Sounds like a decent idea. +1
15th Nov 2019, 6:49 PM
Heroshima
+1, and look into the other cells, too.
15th Nov 2019, 6:14 PM
I'd say go left: there seems to be sludge coming from a crack in the ceiling there, so someone over in a room there might be going through the same as us.
Either way, check the windows of the other cells as we proceed down either part of the hallway: with some luck we might find someone we can talk to.
15th Nov 2019, 6:28 PM
Definitely take a peek into the rooms while looking for a way out. We might find other party members!
15th Nov 2019, 6:31 PM
We could go left, but the shadow we saw through the door window disappeared to the right, yeah? So maybe we should go check out what's that way first.
15th Nov 2019, 6:33 PM
YetiOlwen
If any of the green torches are loose grab one and do a little quite exploration, keeping an eye out for higher ground, and anything out of the ordinary (relatively speaking)

Edit: Be sure to be careful around the green flames. The sludge was referred to as "oily" at least once in story, so in addition to being potentially flammable, green fire isn't something we really want to get burned by more then necessary.
15th Nov 2019, 8:55 PM
15th Nov 2019, 11:41 PM
15th Nov 2019, 6:41 PM
It might be too late at this point, but we might want to see if we can detect signs of life coming from behind any of the other cell doors. If there's a chance of saving somebody from the same kind of thing that nearly happened to us, well... we should at least *try.*
15th Nov 2019, 6:52 PM
Yeah, let's check.

+1
15th Nov 2019, 7:32 PM
Yes, we should try all the doors and see if there's anyone or anything we can save behind them. +1 to getting a torch as well.
15th Nov 2019, 11:37 PM
15th Nov 2019, 11:42 PM
16th Nov 2019, 2:17 AM
15th Nov 2019, 7:01 PM
go back into the room we were just in if it has drained enough and check to see if there was anything we missed in the room that might be useful also try and take one of those torches on the wall and check to see if anyone is in any of the other cells that might be able to help us or tell us where we are
15th Nov 2019, 9:14 PM
Kumondo
+1 to a brief look back in our cell, even if it just end up being "Yup, everthing is soaked and the 'water' is still coming down. Best of stick around too long." Also seconding grabbing a torch (cautiously) and investigating the further cells to the left.
15th Nov 2019, 7:12 PM
Check if the other cells have people who may not have solved the puzzle, also maybe one of the cells has dryish bedsheets we could dry ourselves off with.
15th Nov 2019, 8:37 PM
Shut the door before we do any of these things, no need to be impolite. We weren't raised in a barn!
15th Nov 2019, 8:41 PM
Let's keep an Eye out if anyone is coming. Not everything in here is guaranteed to be friendly.
16th Nov 2019, 3:38 AM
I see only -"grab a torch, go left", but what about that shadow we saw? Let's check right !without! a torch to make sure we see them before they see us, I don't like surprises.
16th Nov 2019, 3:44 AM
Xylas_Incarnum
I still think we should check that "me and my .44" book, even more so now since this doesn't seem like the kind of place you'd want to wander around unarmed in.
16th Nov 2019, 10:52 AM
Kumondo
Not to be "that guy," but we already did that. Last page, second sentence: " You thumb through a few books (especially Me & My .44, which you're certain is big enough to contain a .44), but find nothing especially helpful about or inside the books themselves... or the bookshelf, for that matter.
16th Nov 2019, 6:19 PM
YetAnother
Too bad. We could use one. Negotiations with dream monsters are much easier when you have a gun.
16th Nov 2019, 6:21 PM
YetAnother
Action suggestion: hope your glasses did not break from faceplanting like that. Hope really hard.
17th Nov 2019, 11:53 AM
lean on your crush souls experience and take it slow and steady after all haste gets you killed.
17th Nov 2019, 4:40 PM
Check one of the other doors, and head right. Slowly, as suggested.