10th Feb 2020, 3:00 PM
Walk down the road

 <<First     Latest>>   

Walk down the road
You rise, and stare out the door--down a barely paved road, and out at vast fields of who the fuck knows

Deep breath.

Kate makes this trip all the time.

Right?

Kate's also a badass, and has thighs that could crush a watermelon.

"H... how safe is it?"

The bus counters with another question. "How do you measure safety?"

Hmmm that's definitely not the answer you wanted.

You think about it for a moment.

"What are the odds of me being killed by a wild animal?"

"According to studies conducted in the last five years, the chance of human fatality by animal attack in Misuschaqua is 1 in 850,000."

"What are the odds of me being killed by a wild animal on this road?"

"I'm afraid no studies have been conducted in that range," the bus replies.

"It's still daylight," you tell yourself out loud, "so it's not like there's... wolves and shit out there."

"Statistically speaking--" the bus begins, "the animals most likely to inflict human fatalities are deer."

"...But that's probably accounting for drivers killed in collisions with deer." Brief pause. Gears are turning. "The whole number probably is."

"The study does not differentiate between car accidents and other causes," the bus confirms.

"...So the real odds of me being mauled by a nasty deer are probably lower."

You take another deep breath.

It's hard to tell how much is anxiety and how much is the real, rational fear of bulls, snakes, coyotes, and/or rednecks. The old adage used to be that animals will generally leave you alone if you don't provoke them, but that's been turning into more and more of a coin flip as habitats are destroyed and weird shit gets in the air.

Animals have also been getting bigger.

You've faced monsters. This shouldn't be a big deal.

...You probably can't come back from dying out here, though.


Probably not.

"I'm sorry," the bus suddenly says. "I should have warned you sooner. I hadn't considered--"

"No," you interject, "you're fine. I..."

You turn back to the unmarked road.

"I think I'm gonna do it."

"It's not an inconvenience if you wish to cancel."

"I know. I know, I just..."

Deeeep breath.

"...Thank you."

You step off the bus.

You start to make your way down the unfinished road.


The walk is quiet, save for the sounds of various birds and bugs.

You pass the first field, stopping only to let a very long cat cross the street.

You pass the bait shop. There's a few cars parked in front of it, but you don't see any people.

You pass the second field. Through the tall grass growing around a barbed wire fence, you can see... a cow? Though you have some difficulty gauging which... uh...

which face is its face.


The road steadily curves and deteriorates...


until you reach a red house.




 <<First     Latest>>   


Rate this comic:

X X X X X
average rating: 5

10th Feb 2020, 3:02 PM
Morgenstern
still settling in, getting things sorted and making arrangements from my own IRL move, so updates might be hit or miss for a bit

I am at least back on my own computer though
10th Feb 2020, 3:04 PM
Hope the new place is nice
10th Feb 2020, 3:05 PM
Ok, first things first: Check for signs of inhabitance.
10th Feb 2020, 3:15 PM
Take a deep breath, try not to be too nervous: you're just here to basically ask if Kate's home. Nothing weird with asking your friend's mom if they're home, even as an adult.
So take a deep breath, stay calm, and knock on the door. Or ring the bell. Whatever they have hanging near the door here.
10th Feb 2020, 3:20 PM
Start mentally rehearsing greetings and introductions if necessary! If it ends up too rambly, there's still some time to pare it down to something more concise before you knock on the door.
10th Feb 2020, 6:21 PM
Heroshima
+1 to rehearsing a greeting, but try not to overthink it. keep it concise and friendly.
10th Feb 2020, 6:49 PM
Krylo
+1

Knock and ask if Kate's home. We're a friend but we weren't sure how else to get ahold of her.
10th Feb 2020, 3:15 PM
Mochi
we are officially a stalker.
11th Feb 2020, 12:40 AM
Come on, we don't even know if that's the right house... yet.
... This isn't helping, is it.
11th Feb 2020, 9:47 AM
Hari_Seldon
Maybe, but one goal of this comic seems to be to meet everyone in town. Plaire didn't meet Kate's mom last night but now she is.
10th Feb 2020, 3:34 PM
pkrankow
Stalkerish or not, we should go directly to the front door, knock or ring, and hope whoever answers is friendly, who we are looking for (Kate's Mom), and can help us find Kate.

If no one answers in reasonable time then we may start looking around.
10th Feb 2020, 5:10 PM
I don't have anything to say for either "yay" or "nay" to knocking on the door; but if we're gonna do it, just do it.
When you have anxiety, the longer a task takes, the harder it becomes to complete.
11th Feb 2020, 12:59 AM
We've got a long cat and a cow with more than 1 face. I wonder if the people out here are mutants as well.
11th Feb 2020, 1:19 AM
YetAnother
Use doorbell thingy on the right. Unless it's a lamp, in which case just knock.
11th Feb 2020, 4:32 PM
BEAT THE DOOR LIKE ITS A PUNCHING BAG