18th Dec 2019, 9:26 PM
Attack it with the torch

 <<First     Latest>>   

Attack it with the torch
You tighten the grip on your torch. You tried diplomacy with these things and you paid for it. You were hesitant last time, and it got you killed. You know full well they're adequately affected by fire. You take a deep breath.

"I..." the creature begins. The pause in particular somehow amplifies how much the phrase pisses you off. "...Have a right to know."

You hold the torch out, and you step forward. "Go back in your hole and get the hell out of my way." You can hear a shuffling, scraping from down the hall. The other one, as you suspected, is following.

"I..."

Your hands grow cold, a little numb.

"...Have a right to know."

You march forward, heart feeling like it could explode out of your chest. You place yourself very near to swinging distance--and more importantly, a safe distance from the door. The other one should be sneaking through the barred window any second now.

"I..."

It doesn't back off. You thought being more aggressive might scare it away, but it stands firm. ...But it doesn't get closer, either. It simply holds its ground. You feel a throbbing in your lower back, heat rising in your face. The cadence and tone are off, but that pause--




"This school is a safe place, Ms. Stevens," the principal began. "Parents take comfort in knowing that. There are... things out there, things that a child shouldn't have to be exposed to." He stood, staring across his desk into your soul with dull, gray eyes. "If you and Lora have engaged in behavior not befitting this school, then as the principal--as the man who has to face those parents, knowing what kinds of other kids THEIR kids are sharing a classroom with--well, I..." He inhales sharply.






"...Have a right to know. I... have a right to know. I..."

It steps forward, at you, the fiber cords beginning to unsheathe from its foremost end.

"...Have a right to know."





"No

you

fuckING

DON'T!"


You lunge. You swing wide. The front of your gaunt nightmare springs backward to avoid, the rest of it uncoiling around you at a distance--trying to pin you in. You don't care; you'll incinerate this thing even if it means going down with it. You continue pushing forward, shoving your torch straight into the monster.

"I..."

"If my own daughter is out there acting like... let's be honest, like some kind of queer, then I--"



"Have a right to know."

You swing everywhere. At everything. The creature tries to act as a cage and you light that cage on fire. It abandons the strategy rapidly, choking out its same verbatim line as it fumbles for the nearest escape, lacking the spine or brain to so much as try and grab you while it's on fire. The other crawls up from behind you; you spin, hurling the torch. It spirals through the air, the tip exploding into flames as it slams almost directly into one of the new monster's eyes.

"Plaire. Seriously. If you and that Lora chick are... y'know, then I'm not gonna judge--but as your best friend I think--"



"I have a right to know."

You run at it, as hard as you can, the adrenaline almost evening out with your hurt leg. The monster goes for a panicked offensive in response, thrusting a thin limb forward, tentacles flailing, but you slap it away with your shield and leap.

Off your good foot this time.

You swing once on the way up, slashing straight through one limb to clear your path. You slash an additional three times on the way back down, cutting through an additional two. The monster begins to repeat itself, again, and you just... start stabbing. Over and over. Screaming. You slam your shield into it, you stomp on it, and you plunge your taped knife into it until it stops moving.

You leap one more time, forcing yourself into a somersault mid-air before slamming down, ass first, with an impact that shakes the whole god damn room.

The world falls silent, save for your own heavy gasping. You smear the blood off the knife onto your jeans, stuffing it back into your belt loops. You start to get back up and retrieve your torch, but quickly decide that maybe you should stay sitting for a minute.

"You know why that house key trick worked earlier?", you huff out among many heavy breaths. "B... because this... this is my house. This is MY house, ASSHOLES!"



You collapse backward, surrounded by gore.

You are so fucking tired.

 <<First     Latest>>   


Rate this comic:

X X X X X
average rating: 5

18th Dec 2019, 9:41 PM
Xylas_Incarnum
Huh, well ok then.

So, intense stress removes the last game played limitation... or just gives limit break status. wish we had some status bars but all that'd likely do is tell us about how exhausted Plaire is.


hobble along using the walls for support if you must but get down those stairs girl, more answers await! ... and well, pretty decent odds on finding the local item shop. so to speak.
19th Dec 2019, 12:54 AM
Technically she simply ground pounded that last one after using standard moves against the first, so it's all kosher.
But with extra feelings.
Take it slow to the stairs, relax a bit. Check your wounds again.
18th Dec 2019, 9:43 PM
Take a minute to rest after that badassery. You've killed both monsters that were breathing down your neck, and you deserve it.
18th Dec 2019, 9:53 PM
You can click on the image
18th Dec 2019, 9:59 PM
We need a bit of downtime. Don't push straight on to the next area yet - this is the first time since we got here we haven't had something trying to kill us for a couple minutes.

Explore the cells a bit maybe - see if there's any items or anything interesting.
18th Dec 2019, 10:54 PM
+1 to this and Xylas_Incarnum's comment
19th Dec 2019, 12:23 AM
Akasha
Sounds like a good idea to me. Though, I swear, if another repressed memory monster shows up, like... the next cell we check, I'm going to be monumentally cross.
19th Dec 2019, 1:01 AM
Limrix
+1 That was awesome, let's catch our breath, look around, and head on down if we're not interrupted.
18th Dec 2019, 11:11 PM
Frission
*hugs a Plaire* That's right sweetie, they have a right to eat **** and you're serving it up hot. :3 Take a breath, get your energy back.
19th Dec 2019, 12:07 AM
Ohkay,break time. Catch your breath, then either retrieve your torch or grab a new one, then check if they dropped loot somehow.
19th Dec 2019, 2:19 AM
Realize the monster may have represented psychological trauma/abuse inflicted on us? Or someone else? Were those comments from a mother and "friend" from our life? Or were those foreign? All for more badassery, but this seems important for understanding this word. Our subconscious? A collective subconscious? Psychic aliens that feed on physical and emotional pain? dog in a room controlling everything?
19th Dec 2019, 6:26 AM
Alright, take a minute to catch your breath, but stay aware of your surroundings: no telling if all that commotion might attract monsters from further in.
19th Dec 2019, 9:00 AM
Lets see... those monsters segments look like crafting material, but don't recommend it.

Instead, should make sure each segment is burnt. I don't trust it to not multiply into dozens of worse little monsters from non-pulped segments.
19th Dec 2019, 10:38 AM
Leafia_Barrett
+1. The last thing we need is these things standing back up when we're not looking.
19th Dec 2019, 6:02 PM
GROUNDPOUND THAT THING! Yes I am back now!
20th Dec 2019, 11:59 AM
judging for the comments the monster had. sounds like Plaire is either Bi or gay and came for an unapproving town. so anyone want to go burn a town down?