10th Dec 2019, 7:02 PM
Craft a weapon

 <<First     Latest>>   

Craft a weapon
You take off one of your socks.

You put your potato in it.

You have crafted a potato in a sock.

You finish putting in the code. The door clicks; Plaire 2 doesn't react.

You shove the door open. It creaks... loudly.

Blue Plaire spins around. She doesn't speak. She doesn't make a sound.

She just immediately runs, straight at you, hands balled up in fists.

You swing wide, slapping her across the face with your potato sock as hard as you can. The sound of impact is extremely satisfying, though you're pretty sure you just wrecked your potato. You cannot tell, for it is inside a sock.

Shadow Plaire stumbles and for a moment you think that might be it--but she recovers, using the wall to pull herself back upright.

She opens her mouth

and thin tendrils begin to emerge.

And then from her nose

her ears

and out from under her glasses.

Thin, blue fibers.

"What is it with you sick fuckers and tentacles?!," you yell.

She comes at you again--still aggressive, but now fully aware of your weaponry. She stays back, trying to bait you to swing; you swing awkwardly, trying to bait her into rushing in too early. You go back and forth for several moments, but she's very aggressive, you have no idea how to fight, and you have sadly not mastered the ancient art of the potato sock.

You eventually do manage to hit her again. ...Somewhat. Whatever remains in there of the potato slams into her face, but the blow is cushioned by her plethora of face limbs. There's even a little resistance on the way back, the tendrils trying to grab it from your hand. Not!Plaire seems to realize this as well as you do; she rushes you more boldly, no longer afraid of the repercussions.

You take the hint and bail, twisting around and running in the opposite direction. You hear her behind you, and you slow only to grab a torch with your free hand and to hazard a glance backward. The moment almost costs you, as she's right on your heels in a dead sprint.

However, the risk pays off

because you learned everything you need to know.

You weren't sure earlier, but seeing it a second time you can confirm it:


She runs like you.


You, Plaire Stevens, who were almost held back in the second grade for being uncoordinated. You remember your mom shouting at the principal about who gives a damn if she can skip or not.

You, who are aware that you must have ran at some point in your life, but you can't actually name a time when it occurred.

You, who get winded putting your clothes on in the morning.

This is not an apex predator you're dealing with, it's you with more hostile AI and you, physically, are an awkward goof.

You drop the potato sock, and listen to the sound of fumbling behind you. She either slipped on it or nearly ate the floor trying not to slip on it.

It buys you just enough time to pull the door to the knife cell open.

You rush in, reach out, and rip the long taped knife right out of the weird, bloated corpse it was buried in. Immediately, small bugs--like slugs, or maybe flatworms--with coarse, needle-like hairs begin pouring from the wound, like water out of a squeezed balloon.



You turn and try to put some distance between you and the body, but RePlaire is already here. She steps through the doorway, blocking you from your only exit--you're trapped between her and the needly worms.

However, you're not armed with a potato in a sock now.

You have a torch, and a pretty decently sized blade. Gripping it, you're pretty sure that's all it is; it doesn't feel like it has a handle at all, but more like someone wrapped police tape around a solid steel shard. It does have an edge, though, like the tip of a katana--and that makes a very substantial difference.

 <<First     Latest>>   


Rate this comic:

X X X X X
average rating: 5

10th Dec 2019, 7:07 PM
Limrix
Welp, brace bayonets ready torches and charge, we're sure not sticking around to see what these little guys will do to us. Hopefully we can knock nega-us off balance on the way out without falling over ourselves.
Edit: Weapon changed to more suitable implement.
10th Dec 2019, 7:12 PM
Heroshima
+1. the torch might do a better job than the knife of making Anti-Plaire get out of the way.
10th Dec 2019, 9:12 PM
okay but are we even sure the fire will burn it? It's weirdly colored, so it might be magic fire that's just used for light instead of doing anything useful like burning enemies. This place does seem to be based on videogame mechanics, after all.
10th Dec 2019, 7:09 PM
Xylas_Incarnum
you forgot to knot the thing so the potato couldn't move about too much but whatever.

..... Fucking hell Plaire's stacked. Right right wrong time.

uh, see how the doppelganger likes fire. Or just push her over given they're more or less as strong as we are... apparently. Either way we should be getting out of this room.
10th Dec 2019, 7:26 PM
Leafia_Barrett
Well, there's only one direction we can leave in, and all that's in the way is an eldritch copycat who is as uncoordinated as we are. We have a knife and a flame, and she has neither. All other things equal, this should mean we have the means to get her out of the way in short order, so let's do that. Take the blade and charge her. And, uh... let's not be surprised if we fall over, too, so be ready for that. Hopefully, us expecting it will mean we can recover from the knockdown faster than she can, worst case.

EDIT: Okay, what the hell is the title field even for in replies? I was trying to use that to put my idea more concisely. "Blitz NotPlaire, try to knock her down and/or stab her."

EDIT2: The fire might be a better idea, but at the same time, it's a lot harder to set someone on fire by just striking them, meanwhile a blade is... a blade. And NotPlaire exhibited caution when we brought out the potato sock, so I have to assume she's not immune to physical damage.
10th Dec 2019, 9:53 PM
Frission
No no guys, the key here is the 'Uncoordinated' bit. The solution is simple.

Let her charge, then trip her into the needlebugs.

Then run like the wind! Or at least huff and puff while we run away while pretending we can run like the wind. Maybe make the 'bionic' sound effect as we go for increased motivation. xD No, I totally didn't do that in middle school whenever I had to run laps to make myself feel better for being slow, why are you asking? D:
11th Dec 2019, 2:42 PM
+1, always good to take out two threats with each other.
11th Dec 2019, 5:33 PM
Tep
+1 - definitely push her in the needlebugs, kill two birds w/ one stone
10th Dec 2019, 7:41 PM
undeadDreamer
Shove fire in her face, if she hasn't tripped backing away stab her, and run.
10th Dec 2019, 7:49 PM
Get outta there! Throw the torch at Not!Plaire and run away, towards the bend in the hall
10th Dec 2019, 8:16 PM
Rush negaplaire with both weapons, then get a little distance and face the insect things with your torch.
10th Dec 2019, 8:37 PM
Macheman7
Wait for Bizarro Plaire to run at you, and jump out of the way. Let her and the bugs deal with one another, while you make a break for the exit- maybe use the blade to trip her, but keep a good grip on it.
10th Dec 2019, 9:11 PM
Take advantage of unPlaire's poor reflexes and try to run past her (it?). Close the door behind you to try to trap her in the room with the worms. Bar the door temporarily with the torch if possible, until you can roll the barrels over to block it.
10th Dec 2019, 10:22 PM
Dodge our evil clone. Get the torch.
11th Dec 2019, 1:54 AM
I'd say to try a feint so RePlaire's a bit off-balance, which you can capitalize on with a shove so you can quite literally push yourself past her, but Plaire just informed us that she herself is an uncoordinated mess so not too sure how that would work.
11th Dec 2019, 2:02 AM
YetAnother
Keep our distance, but don't completely run away. We're both physically awkward, but our opponent got the familiar ground advantage. Ready an attack, swing at our clone when it gets too close, withdraw. Aim for the face and legs. Rinse and repeat till we score a lucky hit and manage to drop it to the ground.
11th Dec 2019, 8:52 AM
Throw the torch at the worms and deal with the ghost.
11th Dec 2019, 11:06 AM
use the torch to blind Plaire 2, then attempt to get around her and close the door behind you.
11th Dec 2019, 12:28 PM
throw the torch at the body. then either dodge the clone's attack and trip it to the hopefully burning body. I don't know for sure if we want the ghost to be infected by those worms
11th Dec 2019, 1:38 PM
Hmm. The clones are either infested with whatever caused the death that spawned them, or just copy their signature abilities. Infinite ways to make up for their clumsiness.

Move around in the room so you're not inbetween worms and Non!Plaire.