7th Sep 2021, 11:12 PM

Take the note and head out

Take the note and head out
You...



honestly don't know how to respond to this note.


You could tell Acedia you met a trades man. You're not sure if they'll even know who or what that is, or if it would make them feel better about being trapped.

You could tell Acedia you're planning on going after the miasmatic wound, but you're not entirely sure you're going to be able to reach that tonight, never mind figuring out what the fuck it actually is and whether the vague ill its name suggests actually impacts Acedia's situation.

You assume it does, but you're assuming a lot already.

You could tell Acedia and their amnesiac associate that you'll save them, but you don't know if you can follow through on that--and even if you can, fuck only knows when or how.

The only thing you feel safe in assuming is that the countdown represents how long Acedia and company have left. The countdown was at eleven two nights ago, now it's at nine. Nine nights left. It could mean more than that--how long until this place collapses on itself, or how long until the dome breaks, or how long until the universe explodes, you don't know--but if Acedia's at the heart of this place and the heart has a big ol' NINE written on it on the other side...

That, at least, feels like a safe assumption.

...Safe being relative.



You take the note from Acedia with you, folding it up and stuffing it in your pocket.

One step at a time.



"Hey, Marlow?" You turn to him, lifting the visor on your helmet. "Do I look... weird under here?"

He turns away from his intense focusing to stare at the narrow slice of your exposed face. "...Naw? I see skin and glasses. Why?"

You take a deep breath. "I'm using that dream ring I bought from the Back Room to borrow Cici's powers. I've done it before with Kate's, but when I did it... sort of changed me. Made me kind of half-doll-ish. You're sure I look normal? My head's not made of yolk, or... a big egg shell or something?"

He gestures his little flying saucer body in the negative. "I mean, I can only see part of your face, but it looks normal to me. ...Normal for here, anyway. The longer we're here, the more I realize the architecture's kind of wonky."

You turn away.

Take another deep breath.

It's safer to leave the helmet on, certainly... but you need to know.

You need to confirm it.

Slowly,

carefully,

you begin to remove your helmet.

It takes a bit of effort; you can feel something... catching.


As the helmet slides off, you can easily see the difference in your peripheral.


"Oh my god," you mutter. "No. Nooo."

"What?," Marlow presses. "What's the damage? How bad is it?"






"It turned me into a fucking bird."






"...Huh," he remarks. "So it did. I mean, it's just the beak right? You don't have feathers or anything, it... just..." Now that the initial shock is over, he is struggling not to laugh. "...Be glad it's just a beak?"

"I don't know how the stupid helmet fit in the first place!," you announce, already struggling to pull it back down over your big-ass bird face. "I look like a fucking dweeb and I can't get my helmet back on."

"But was it worth it?," he asks.

... Fair point.

You put the helmet on the couch.

You hold out your hand.

"...You might want to hang back," you tell him.


You focus on manifesting a shield like Cici can.


. . .


Light... starts to coalesce, but then kind of shatters off in every direction, dissipating before it comes into contact with anything.

You try it again.

You get... more of a shield, before it explodes into a bunch of harmless light.

"Slow it down," Marlow says.

"I'm trying to slow it down!," you reply. "The longer I focus on it the shakier it gets."

"Then speed it up," he says. "Picture the whole thing before ya start. Know what you're gonna make, then make it all at once. Don't do it a step at a time, just do it."

. . .

You

manifest a shield.

Slightly bigger than you wanted, but a shield nonetheless.

It immediately goes flying forward, shattering into light against the far wall.

"...How did you know that would work?"

"Aw, hell, I had no idea," Marlow chuckles. "Sounded good though, didn't it?"

You manifest an axe; it, too, appears oversized and just barely out of your reach before it goes soaring off, twirling at a... grotesque and awkward angle, like you drunkenly chucked it. Really, it's like the weapons are already rushing away even as they're manifesting--like you can't just manifest them in place, and you're instead limited to projectiles. You had this problem with Kate's powers, too--you could only go ham, blowing up or making explosions, with very little fine tuning.

...But Kate couldn't fireball the way you fireball. Cici could absolutely do what you're doing right now and then some. This isn't the mechanics, this is a player error--you and Kate are doing something wrong. Different things wrong, but still.


Fuck it, though, you can just spray arrows if need be. The mana cost isn't that high and you have shit to do.


You turn your attention back to Marlow. "Can you pick up this toolbox?"

"I don't have any hands," he says.

"I didn't ask if you have hands," you counter. You feel like you're smirking but you don't know how it comes off because D;FJ;KFFUCKING BEAK "I asked if you can pick up the toolbox."

He stares at you for a second--then at the toolbox.


He floats over--

and begins trying to pick it up.




With his god damn tractor beam.





He manages to start dragging it up off the floor, but you can tell he's seriously battling with it. "Alright," you say, "we might need to beef you up a bit before you can haul something that heavy. That's... still good to know, though."

He relents, breathing hard. "How was I doing that...?"

"You have a tractor beam, I guess," you tell him with a shrug. "Honestly, THAT might be your power. ...Hold on."

You take a quick glance around--you don't see any of the other potatoes you dropped off, but you do have one in your pocket. ...And while you're looking, you take note that the damage you did to this couch the last time you were here is gone, confirming that this room does in fact reset with the rest of the dungeon.

You take the potato out of your pocket... and hold it out to him.

He focuses on it.

Narrows his gaze.

...And with a thinner, more focused beam, he begins to draw the potato out of your hand. His grasp of it is uneasy at first, but soon he's suspending the potato in the air, bathing it in a blue light as he turns it around and flips it over. He turns a bit himself, and the potato comes with him. It seems to be locked 'in place,' the potato staying dead center in his ray as he sweeps the energy around. With a little effort, he begins to change the direction of the beam relative to his body--it still originates with him, but he can tractor beam underneath himself, or in front of him, or even directly above him, swinging the potato through the air.

"My next question..." you begin, "how hard can you push it away?"

Marlow ponders the thought for a moment before turning away from you, carefully aiming his tractor beam (and the floating potato)...


then launching said potato.

It shatters into little chunks against the wall, revealing the potato's healthy golden insides.

(Such a rich golden tint, in fact, one could argue it's more of a solid yellow color)

It's not the greatest weapon--for starters, Marlow has to manually load his ammo, unlike Kate and Cici who can just... manifest their stuff. He didn't even shoot the potato all that hard--like, it was fast enough to break the potato, but you're pretty sure an actual potato gun could do more damage.


...But you're also pretty sure Marlow can get better at that part. He just got here, after all.


"Good enough," you finally conclude. "Follow me, I'll explain how mana works on the way."

You head out, polearm in one hand and toolbox in the other. The ideal route, you suspect, would be to use a screwdriver to shortcut west through the big glass tube, then take the stairs up to B1. From there, you can work your way southeast through the cell blocks, up to the first striped room and candle you discovered. You previously teleported from the tradesman to the candle room, so it stands to reason you can teleport back--and he does have a candle in his head, so the logistics here sound pretty damn solid. Once you're on the tradesman's floor (god knows how many layers below your current position), you can ask him more questions, and hunt for all the weird shit he mentioned a couple nights ago. You can also poke around outside while you're bouncing between candles. Really, once you hit the ground floor you have plenty of options, you just have to get there first.


It is a plan, though.




While keeping an eye out for worms great and small, you explain to Marlow everything you know about mana--nulling damage and nulling pain, how it's not all-or-nothing and you can do a 'partial block' if you're trying to save mana (which IS limited), how Cici discovered she can boost her eyesight with it--though, trying it yourself now, you discover it's a bit more costly than she described. ...Oh, and that--how different 'classes' seem to have varying mana costs for different applications of it. Cici's the Sun and very paladin-tank-esque, defensive with a sharp eye for spotting trouble. Kate's... probably some kind of hit-and-run mobility-based DPS. You're the Fool, like a bard or some kind of sick joke class, so it's cheaper for you to reinforce your gear and blow off pain than it is to reinforce your own body. ...Oh, and even a maimed or disabled body part can be made to function with mana, but that tends to be expensive.

While Marlow is helping you undo the screws on the grate at the end of the giant tube, he asks, "so what's my class?"

"The Moon," you state simply. "I... uh... I'll be honest, I don't know what that means tarot-wise. I'm mostly just read up on the ones we already had in our group, and... well, the cool ones, like The Tower and The Hanged Man. I... kind of recall The Moon being about secrets, deception and shit...?"

"Makes sense," replies Marlow. "I've spent most of my life searchin' for truth, and a lot of those truths turned out to be bullshit. Now I'm finding out magic's real, other worlds are real, astral projection...? I don't know what truth IS anymore, truth be told."

"Incidentally," you half joke, "...it's also a feminine symbol? Normally?"

He pauses. He can't smile, but he somehow does anyway. "My wife and daughter've kept me grounded--kept me anchored to reality when I'm at my craziest. Nora's been my guiding light through a lot of dark times... so I guess you could say she's my moon."

Together, you and Marlow push the big, circular grate off, giving you access to the pump room.

"...Oh, right," you mutter, staring at the murky water below, "the sludge has worms in it."

During previous trips through this room, you had a makeshift raft, or Cici. This time, you're going to have to improvise.

You take a few steps back from the edge. ...Then a few more steps, psyching yourself up for a full run.

"What are you thinking...?," Marlow asks.

You visualize what you're planning to do. You picture the whole room, how it's laid out, how you remember it. You imagine the map in your head, and how it all relates to the real space you've experienced. "I'm about to try and get some mileage out of Magic Mustachio."



You take off at a dead sprint.


Twist subtly at the last second... and crouch.


Long jump over the sludge.

Hit one of the big vertical pumps that line the chamber.

Wall jump off of it.

Hit the wall.

Wall jump at an angle.

Hit the next pump. Wall jump.

Hit the wall. Wall jump across the corner.

Hit the wall. Wall jump.

Hit the pump you just bounced off of.

Wall jump toward the stairs.

Wait until the last second--


turn it into a dive for extra forward momentum.



You barely make it to solid ground, but you do make it. Face-down, skidding and then rolling into the base of the stairs with weapon and toolbox intact.



Fuck you, worms.


AND EAT AN ENTIRE ASS, DUNGEON





"Gaaawd DAMN!," Marlow shouts. He quickly flies over the sludge toward you, taking the shortest path possible to where you've landed. Your heart is pounding in your chest, but motherfucker you fucking DID IT. "How?!," he yells. "How the hell?! What?! What-- what was all that?!"

"That's why I play a game before I go to bed," you tell him, "and that's why I want to talk to Franklin. He's a game developer, and his game makes me immune to god damn explosions. He KNOWS some shit."

"I know you told me about all that--" Marlow is dumbfounded, "but--damn, I keep underestimating just how... how legit it all is. That was nuts!"

"Full disclosure," you reply as you're brushing yourself off and letting your nerves settle, "I have never fucking done that before. I've done like... A long jump and a ground pound, my adrenaline is through the roof right now." It didn't even dent your mana. It barely cost you anything. Your theory about 'leveling up' is basically proven--now that you're flexing a bit, you can feel that your mana pool in total is even bigger than it was last time... and absolutely massive compared to your first couple nights. The fact that you're even able to tell the difference says a metric fucking ton about how much better you're getting at this.


Once you've caught your breath and calmed down a bit, you continue on up the stairs, with Marlow flying close behind you. So far, his movement seems the most... precise of your accomplices. He can shift subtly side to side, front to back, or even hover in place... but he flies a little slow, with some build up time before he really gets to accelerating. Between that and the tractor beam, you're growing more convinced that his form is more of a support form than a direct combat form.

"Oh, shit--also--" You start to explain how accomplices evolve, as well. So far only Cici's managed to pull it off, having felt some kind of... trigger, or urging, once her circumstances were lined up a certain way. It's still very new to you, but you figure he should be aware of it in case the opportunity arises. "Cici's been pretty fucking good at this in general," you admit firmly.

From the top of the stairs, you begin to head right--

but something catches your eye to the left, and you suddenly remember the experiment you had been working on with the taped knife.






...It's still there. Holy shit. The knife didn't reset because of the yellow tape, so the door couldn't shut and more importantly couldn't lock.

Okay. Okay, think.

There's a locked chest in that small office that you couldn't open last time because you spent your key unlocking the office door. But--the route you're planning to take ALSO has a locked door in the way, so if you blow your key here you'll have to take the long way around through this floor. It's all a big loop and you shouldn't see anything but basic enemies you're already familiar with, but still, that's more time and effort to get where you're going and the contents of the chest might not be worth it.

Or they might be it. It's behind two, arguably three keys, it might be really fucking worth it.



Honestly, you're just hyped that this worked. Do Not Reset tape is broken as hell and you're absolutely here for it.



"...Do you feel that?," Marlow asks.

You turn to him--

and then stop.

Now that he mentions it--

"Yeah," you reply. "Like... the walls. Something--"

You look up. Around. Take it in.

It's brief, barely there and it passes quickly.

You've... felt this before. Not this, exactly, but something like it.

You can feel it deeper this time, though. Clearer.

"I think the Choir tried to put something in the dungeon."

Marlow blinks. "...And?"

"I... guess it... said no? This place doesn't seem to like anything I didn't bring in with me or that wasn't already here..." Which raises some big sexy questions about the trades man, the striped rooms, and whoever left a god damn grenade but those are aaall questions for later "...Cool of the Choir to try, though? Rude of the dream not to give me an error message or something about it. I'm actually surprised you felt it."

"I'm tryin' my hand at that... magic... sense stuff," Marlow replies. "Heh, trying my hand. I don't have any hands. There's something heading towards us, too--something in the walls... maybe a couple of 'em. I can hear 'em."

"Yeah," you huff, "those fuckers. Stay away from the walls, and don't let anything near your... uh... orifices." You turn back to the office door, and the blade still propping it open. "...We shouldn't be here long."


Average Rating: 5 (3 votes)
Load my Place Save my Place



Will Schrag | Jason Dippel | Skullrama | John Wood | Tom Axon | David J Wu | Cannon17 | Dustin Hickman | Mochi | Wisp Pandemonium | arbit | Travis Whittaker



8th Sep 2021, 12:03 AM
Bored One
Let's open the chest. We already know an alternate route, might as well find out what's inside.
8th Sep 2021, 12:09 AM
Xylas_Incarnum
Aye, +1 to the new loot, always handier than no loot.
8th Sep 2021, 12:15 AM
8th Sep 2021, 6:56 PM
Guest
What if we just use a tool to pry the chest open? Or break and or dismantle it? The dungeon does run off video game mechanics but plair is still an entire human, and that gives her more abstract and unorthodox options, hence torch throwing.
8th Sep 2021, 12:25 AM
Portal In Time
+1, if it's not worth it we don't have to do it next time! But if it is.. well, we could always preserve it with some lightly-used Do Not Reset tape!

EDIT: Oh, right! We already start out with ONE house key that we bring in ourselves, all we have to do is cheese that mimic for another when the time comes.
8th Sep 2021, 12:51 AM
Frission
+1 to Chest for sure. We're stronker now, we can speedrun the long way if we have to.
8th Sep 2021, 12:57 AM
Snervalton
+1 to opening the chest. Given that everything else in the office is a recording of Plaire's worst memories, I'm hoping that what's in the chest will be somehow related to the one hopeful memory that carried her through it all. Or maybe it's her absolute worst memory that she repressed under lock and key. Either way, let's find out!

And let's take the taped knife with us too.
8th Sep 2021, 2:06 AM
Skullrama
+1 get that chest
8th Sep 2021, 2:18 AM
nicolas
+1
Loot for the win.
also should take the knife with us if the stuff in the room is crap and wont be back for it again.
8th Sep 2021, 3:36 AM
Another Guest
8th Sep 2021, 6:38 AM
+1 yup, get shit and get out.
8th Sep 2021, 7:13 AM
BloodyPaladin
+1 be wary of mimics
8th Sep 2021, 7:43 AM
+1 Like the others said, if its worthless we can at least use the Knife for other things and if its worth it maybe we can wrap the tape around that instead of the Knife.
8th Sep 2021, 8:45 AM
+1 Time for Looty McLoot to loot! (ie loot that chest)
8th Sep 2021, 12:32 PM
Lunar Waffles
technically, if we're willing to put the time into the longer rout, wouldn't it be better go the short way, reset the spawn point, cheese the mimic to get a key then comeback the short way? it should be faster then the long way even with the backtracking.
8th Sep 2021, 4:29 PM
8th Sep 2021, 7:56 PM
Fishbulb
+1 There's no real reason not to open it, that I can see.
13th Sep 2021, 2:59 PM
Rowan
8th Sep 2021, 12:14 AM
I say we go for the chest in the office. If it's worthless, we learned something. If it's not, we do-not-reset it and don't have to waste keys on the way back. We can still make progress, give Marlow some more time to figure things out and reduce the number of unknowns in things we've already seen. Plus the contents could themselves be a key or puzzle element we haven't encountered yet.

Also clearly stuff other than us has a way in to this place. Maybe we simply ask how Acedia, or anyone, got there. It might help to know even if it's out of our reach.
8th Sep 2021, 12:15 AM
Gigafreak
Marlow can aerial-manipulate things with precision, and even throw them.
Maybe that means he can snag the old sword from that other room and aerial-tractor-beam it out through the bars without having to open the door and release gods-only-know-what-might-be-hiding-in-there. Not that we need it at the moment considering we have both Cici's weapons and torches on all the walls, but maybe it's a trick to keep in mind for later, or even to practice now.
More importantly, he can throw torches (and even finely aim them!), which is the time-tested OP Strat of choice in here. With the fire payload being the actual "weapon" rather than the impact velocity, his unimpressive launch speed hardly is a setback.
...Though after some combat experience, maybe he can pick up and yeet a motherfucker at another motherfucker.
8th Sep 2021, 12:27 AM
Portal In Time
I was thinking about that, does he even NEED torque? It's a tractor beam, it grabs the whole object. Who says he can't just rotate screws out of a grate as if they were floating in air?
8th Sep 2021, 8:46 AM
+1 to this experiment
8th Sep 2021, 2:41 AM
+1 to sword theft, +1 to tractor beam screwdriver action.
8th Sep 2021, 4:29 PM
8th Sep 2021, 4:50 PM
Limrix
+1 to tricky utility class action w/OP strats.
8th Sep 2021, 7:03 PM
Actually, forget testing Marlow's tractor beam on screws. Have him try to open the chest! If he can manipulate the lock without us using up a key, we never have to worry about keys again! (As long as he's around, anyway).
8th Sep 2021, 10:28 PM
Spyder
+ 1 to trying this
9th Sep 2021, 5:20 AM
8th Sep 2021, 12:15 AM
Barswanian
Marlow might be really good with tractoring up a torch. The things in the walls don't like torches, right?
8th Sep 2021, 12:21 AM
Guest
While this is true, it would be funnier to tractor-beam-grab one of those acid slugs and yeet it at them. They hate those even more. Fun trick to keep in mind in the fairly likely event that we end up in a room or corridor with both of them in it.
8th Sep 2021, 12:49 AM
Snervalton
+1 to Marlow grabbing a torch to defend against the bone-tentacle monsters.
8th Sep 2021, 11:23 AM
Before we try picking up acid slugs specifically, we should test if the tractor beam is actually a beam and not part of him, or if dream logic applies and it somehow is. We don’t want to assume he can pick up dangerous things like the slugs, only to get him hurt because of it.
I propose seeing if he can feel anything he’s beaming up. If he can’t feel it at all, then it’s probably safe to try and pick up dangerous things. If he can feel things with it, then it’s probably more like a weird arm instead of what we would normally consider a tractor beam and we should err on the side of caution.
8th Sep 2021, 3:50 AM
Another Guest
+1 to trying to tractor a torch
8th Sep 2021, 12:17 AM
Snervalton
Tractor beam! I called it!
8th Sep 2021, 12:26 AM
YetAnother
I wonder if Marlow can use him magic sense to identify special properties of different stuff...
8th Sep 2021, 12:48 AM
Snervalton
Only way to know is to try. Maybe have him try to guess what's in the chest before opening it?
8th Sep 2021, 3:50 AM
Another Guest
8th Sep 2021, 12:43 AM
Xylas_Incarnum
I think... for now if we're going to try to put anything in the dungeon again we should limit it to adding loot to chests and to have a uniform image to what we're trying to add in.... and probably should have started with a ring of keys rather than a sturdy staff last time. less over all material should make it easier to manifest. a ring of 10 keys or so would still be easier to produce than a staff... based on total mass anyway. ...

But chests and other loot containers are probably the best spots to try to add shit into due to... well the dungeon is already going to do that when they open right?
The items are never actually inside the chest until the lid is opened up, yeah?

..... though come to think of it ... no no, trying to transmute one of the chests into A Luggage would be a very very bad idea.... possibly also a very good one but I don't think making anything that could potentially follow Plaire back into normal reality would be a good thing. Puncturing veils and all that.
8th Sep 2021, 1:08 AM
Zophah
Since it is the dungeon that is stopping us from manifesting loot, it may be the shield that is stopping us. And I don’t want us to accidentally pop a hole in the shield just to give Plaire a tool or weapon.
8th Sep 2021, 1:38 AM
Xylas_Incarnum
again, probably easier to shape potential items in a chest compared to outright manifestation.
8th Sep 2021, 8:48 AM
Work WITH the system instead of breaking it, might work. Dream might also say "NO" anyways; Maybe we need to ask for permission?
10th Sep 2021, 5:54 AM
Another Guest
+1 for asking for permission. the next time
8th Sep 2021, 12:44 AM
Cuttlefish
We should see if Marlow can scan or otherwise try deducing the contents of the chest before we open it. If he's got some kind of X-ray ability, it would be great for saving on key usage in future.
8th Sep 2021, 1:05 AM
Cyanic
Oh yo big +1 from me
8th Sep 2021, 3:47 AM
Another Guest
Goddammit, +1, you're right
8th Sep 2021, 8:37 AM
Limrix
Oh yeah, +1.
8th Sep 2021, 8:49 AM
+1 Verifying he has enhanced sensors as a spaceship would be very helpful. After all, no one else was able to get the hang of mana perception as fast as him.
8th Sep 2021, 2:14 PM
PurpleKetchup
+1 checking for scan/thermal/xray visors.
8th Sep 2021, 12:52 AM
Frission
Rood dungeon sayin' no to our manifestyness. D: And we used a cute cat picture and everything! D:
Oh well, at least senpai noticed us. <3
8th Sep 2021, 8:50 AM
Might be rude cause we were rude. We should ask nicely next time for permission.
8th Sep 2021, 5:16 PM
Another Guest
CrazyTim45 may have a point?
8th Sep 2021, 1:05 AM
Cyanic
Good to know about the item summoning, we're right that the barrier between realms is thinner in the Dream, but the dungeon(/alcazar?) Is rejecting it

I think Marlow definitely has a sensor kinda ability and thats actually incredible for evading enemies AND potentially discovering secrets, and maybe suggest him trying to hold small something constantly with the beam, it might make the beam stronger, careful of mana drain though

I agree with everyone else to see whats inside the chest, also just make sure the door doesnt close while we're inside, just in case

-

Now I wanna do another dumb Choir thing
But
it's significanfly riskier than trying to summon a staff, so maybe another time

Less risky though is complimenting Plaire!

Like for instance,
that ABSOLUTELY SICK platformer parkour trick! Awesome job, my dude!
That's not just mustachio powers, that's *skill*
8th Sep 2021, 1:08 AM
Snervalton
+1 to making sure the office door doesn't close while we're inside.
8th Sep 2021, 3:47 AM
Another Guest
8th Sep 2021, 2:15 PM
PurpleKetchup
+1 nice pathing congrats are in order.
8th Sep 2021, 1:51 AM
Guest
While the veil is thin, let's try conveying a message instead, should we tell plaire to ask Marlow about Jane, or should we start with something simpler like... Idk, telling her that she's an awesome, strong, smart individual :3
8th Sep 2021, 3:35 AM
Portal In Time
-1 to direct Meta interaction like that for now.
8th Sep 2021, 4:51 PM
Limrix
What portal said.
9th Sep 2021, 3:49 AM
This. If we want to help her find information, we point her to it by consensus.

Taking shortcuts isn't balanced against her limited time and resources, so I feel like we'll regret it later. What if we mess up and Plaire suddenly becomes acutely aware of every single line of text we type all at once forever instead of taking the general vibe? Or something.

Maybe we'll learn some stuff later that'll change my mind on that. But for now I will always agree against getting too bold.

Fuck. Ask the Trades Man.
8th Sep 2021, 3:47 AM
Another Guest
-1 to praising Plaire - I feel that if we start going that route we won't stop .-. Let's focus on support and leave praise for when it's needed .-.

(even if all that wall jumping was awesome)
8th Sep 2021, 2:36 AM
Macheman7
So, firstly, do get the chest. Knowledge is worth it, although speed is also arguably worth it. Just remember that speed means nothing if we quickly get to something that Just Kills You, like a grenade or a bullshit trap or enemy.
If it makes the run itself stronger, it's worth picking up. Just keep that in mind.

Also, should we run into any hostiles, Marlow should try the tractor beam- hell, he should try it on Plaire now as a test to see if it works on living things, and how much if that thing is bigger.
He should also look for phasers, or energy weapons, or whatever. The landing party maybe, maybe there's a whole bunch of dudes in his spaceship ready to do their thing. Whatever it is, if he can figure it out before we run into enemies, all the better.

One last thought- what if Acedia is the name of the intended recipient, and not the sender?
8th Sep 2021, 2:45 AM
Snervalton
No, Plaire asked who the person writing in red was last time and now she's responding, saying her name is Acedia. Acedia asked earlier if Plaire was somebody named Nat. I think these are the two witches' names and they're trying to communicate through this piece of paper.
8th Sep 2021, 2:20 PM
PurpleKetchup
Hmm, No explosion immunity this time around.
Check the chest for traps. Just in case.
8th Sep 2021, 3:20 PM
Snervalton
+1 to checking the chest for traps.
8th Sep 2021, 2:48 AM
37212513
Spawn Item failed....
Plaire seemed upset the dungeon didn't give her an error like it did when she tried to use the MENU.
Seems to me we should try accessing the menu from our end, see if we can get her a few more privileges, maybe some data before we get kicked out ourselves?
8th Sep 2021, 3:01 AM
37212513
Just to expand on that idea, I propose two teams. Team A staying with Plaire so we don't lose track of her, but losing the right to participate in the hack; Team B hacking the dream program thing... however that works, but losing the right to say word one regarding Plaires adventure. I'd love to hear everyones thoughts on this, doubly so from Morgon as he would have to implement this psychotic dribble if the plan passes (meaning he gets over-ride on an idea that might be interesting in theory, but a hassle in practice).
8th Sep 2021, 3:44 AM
Another Guest
If someone should really try to access any MENUS, it's Franklin, not us, but we aren't on the "really" stage so far so...

...baby steps. Trying to access the MENU should be a good experiment: it allows us to see if the alcazar's system recognizes us in any shape or form, or not.
8th Sep 2021, 2:28 PM
Snervalton
Plaire did try to access a menu/status screen on page 122. Unfortunately, she found that it was not accessible to her because the physical arcana of the alcazar is configured to the Hanged Man tarot and not hers, The Fool. We should ask the Tradesman how to change this.
8th Sep 2021, 5:18 PM
Another Guest
Oh, sorry, when I said "we", I meant we as the Choir, not Plaire.

The system is not configured to the Fool, but maybe we (the Choir) can interface and use it somehow?
8th Sep 2021, 5:29 PM
Snervalton
I suspect that configuring the alcazar to a particular tarot was something that its creator had to do when it was originally built. The error message that Plaire gets on page 122 says "magus must represent the Hanged Man or reconfigure physical arcana". That seems to indicate that somebody has to be physically present in the alcazar to effect that change.
8th Sep 2021, 2:52 AM
I figured that adding stuff to the dungeon wouldn't work out. Oh well.

Although...maybe SUBTRACTION might have some play? Next time some enemies show up, let's see if we can flex our Choir-y goodness to suck them out of the dungeon and into nonexistence.

Or if we can't do that, maybe we can nudge them around. And by "nudge" I mean "We basically use the Force to pick up one enemy and use it to whale all the other enemies to death".

Hell, if we can manipulate stuff already in the dungeon, we don't have to fuck around with keys. We can just blow doors off their hinges for Plaire.

Alright, and I've saved my best thought for last...

The dream dungeon doesn't agree with us inserting stuff into it out of nowhere. Right? What about THE REAL WORLD? WHAT IF PLAIRE WOKE UP AND IN THE LIVING ROOM THERE WAS A WRAPPED GIFT FROM SANTA CHOIR? AND INSIDE WAS A MACHINE GUN WITH UNLIMITED AMMUNITION? AND THERE WAS ALSO A CARD THAT SAID "Now you have a machine gun with motherflippin' unlimited ammunition! Ho ho ho!" IT'S A DUNGEONMAS MIRACLE! ALSO THE MACHINE GUN HAS NO RECOIL SO IT DOESN'T KNOCK PLAIRE ON HER ASS WHEN SHE PROCEEDS TO INSTANTLY MURDER ALL HER ENEMIES!

(I fully expect this to not work, but my God, it's so much fun thinking up these wild experiments).
8th Sep 2021, 3:41 AM
Another Guest
I feel that subtraction would make things too easy - also, the dungeon stopping us make some sort of sense: if it has a barrier that stops Eldritch beings from entering in... we kinda qualify as eldritch, from the barrier's point of view?

Still, going from Plaire's words, there's one very important thing we got from our experiment:

...we can probably manifest stuff in case Plaire ends up OUT of the barrier. Let's not forget this, in case she ever ends up out there. She will need it.
8th Sep 2021, 6:33 AM
Lunar Waffles
if that ever windup being the case, i vote we give her a military grade hummer o-o
8th Sep 2021, 8:37 AM
Outside the barrier is a definite candidate, and indeed, if we ever run into the Paradoxes again in that weird Between place, we ought to try whipping out some truly epic hardware -- machine gun, hummer, Kaiju-scale mech, whatever.
8th Sep 2021, 6:45 AM
Another Guest
If that ever windup being the case, we will also need to manifest solid terrain for her to stand on: both Kate and Cici's accomplice forms could fly, so not having a trustable, not ever changing ground under their feet wasn't a problem :/

So, yeah, +1 for military grade hummer in that scenario. ...Plaire knows how to drive? :thinking:
8th Sep 2021, 12:29 PM
Lunar Waffles
to be fair, one only needs to know how to drive if they want to be safe about it. even if you don't know how to drive, you can get in a car and make it go from point a to b, might just also hit points x, q, 6, g, and every pedestrian along the way.
8th Sep 2021, 6:57 AM
Pkrankow
I bet Marlow can tractor a monster body_part_ and rip it free, then throw it back at intense velocity. One-two hit like that.


+1 retrieve taped "do not reset" knife, we might need it again.
+1 Get loot
+1 Cheese mimic for key (if necessary)
-1 choir summoning items at this time.(maybe later) I think the ability boost did something though.

8th Sep 2021, 3:17 PM
undeadDreamer
Plaire I just wanted to say I appreciate your "I didn't ask if you had hands" line. It was a good one.
8th Sep 2021, 6:03 PM
BJBlack
Yep, that was definitely a good one. Also good was, "AND EAT AN ENTIRE ASS, DUNGEON".
8th Sep 2021, 6:01 PM
BJBlack
Hmmm. Your Dream Ring powers from last night and tonight seem to operate on very similar mechanics. You can't manifest anything small, you can't hold a manifestation long, and it always seems to jet off as a projectile.

Hm, hm. The knife remained, but the page impaled on it and the quiver left resting upon the tape are gone (link to the final form of that experiment).



Well, I have no objection to using the key, but I think you should Try to open the chest by force first.

But, the community seems to have already decided to use the key, though. Ah, well.
8th Sep 2021, 6:10 PM
Hari_Seldon
Marlow should try to X-ray vision the chest before we open it to see what's inside to see if it's worth it to unlock.
8th Sep 2021, 9:04 PM
Crestlinger
Get the chest. Easy use of a key IF needed as Marlow might be able to tractor beam the lock tumblers open with a bit of fine practice. A Locked chest seems a good thing to try on, but from an appropriately safe distance in case of traps and only after confirming that door can be locked And unlocked from the inside.
10th Sep 2021, 3:04 PM
PurpleKetchup
Oooh, yeah ! +1 tractor-picking it first.
8th Sep 2021, 10:55 PM
Guest
Just how much of the tape is actually required for the No Reset effect though? Should we try ripping off a piece of the corner and see if sticking it to the open door will let it stay open?
8th Sep 2021, 10:58 PM
Antarean
LOVED the wall jumping. :)
9th Sep 2021, 12:56 AM
Snervalton
Once we're done in the office: Take a right out of the office door, past the barrels and head south until we come to the hall that crosses into the south-west cell block. Turn left coming out of the hall and continue east then south until we come to the hall leading into the south-west cell block. Enter the south-west cell block but beware the chain-cocoon monsters as we set off the gas trap without entering the poison cloud. Once the cloud dissipates: head upstairs, grab the extra key from the gassed mimic, check on the potato experiment in the heart room and save there, then teleport to the Tradesman via the candle room.
9th Sep 2021, 1:56 AM
foxoftheasterisk
>"...it's also a feminine symbol? Normally?"

... I *don't* think this means Marlow is trans, but... I'm definitely gonna be watching for it, now.

(Then again, when do I not, lol)
9th Sep 2021, 3:23 PM
Snervalton
Naw, I don't think this means Marlow is trans, just that there's been a huge contribution from women in his life like his wife and three daughters, as explained above.

Now Maria on the other hand...she seems to be rather mysterious and nobody knows her that well...not that trans people are in any way by nature mysterious, but...could it be that she just doesn't feel comfortable presenting herself to others a certain way?...would it be too much to hope for a little trans representation in this story?
11th Sep 2021, 5:04 AM
Portal In Time
Everyone in MDA is trans and gay, except for cops (Though I especially headcanon Kate to be trans, she's definitely got the vibes of someone that's looked gender in the eyes and won)
11th Sep 2021, 12:57 PM
Snervalton
I don't think that Kate is trans, though I love your characterization of her as somebody who's "definitely got the vibes of someone that's looked gender in the eyes and won". Gender identity and gender expression are two different things and I just get the impression that Kate is somebody who performs femininity differently from the mainstream, coming from the punk subculture and all. We've heard her self-describe as a lesbian and never heard her express any desire to transition or discomfort with being a woman.
12th Sep 2021, 6:53 PM
foxoftheasterisk
I think Portal was saying that Kate is a post-transition trans woman, in which case, of *course* she's comfortable being a woman.

(I hadn't thought of it myself but she does rather have that Vibe. But as you say, it's kind of the same vibe as punk, so it could just be that.)
12th Sep 2021, 7:23 PM
Snervalton
Ooooh, for some reason I assumed that Portal was saying that Kate was somebody who would want to transition, not that she already had. If she is post-MTF-transition then yes, of course she's comfortable being a woman, trans women are women and I wouldn't try to argue otherwise. (Apologies if I misinterpreted what you were saying, Portal.)
13th Sep 2021, 5:12 PM
Portal In Time
Fox was right, I was talking about Kate exuding some strong transfem vibes, though you both make a great point about gender norms being questioned on the regular in punk culture. No worries!
13th Sep 2021, 11:36 PM
It seems to me like the miasmatic wound might be a pressing issue, especially if it IS connected to the countdown. I say we go ask the tradesman for advice on how to find it/what to do about it and go from there.
17th Sep 2021, 9:38 AM
Guest
If its coming down a hallway this would be a good spot for plain to use her light arrows and turn it into a pin cushion, being harder to dodge coming down the hallway.