21st Nov 2019, 5:37 PM
Investigate the sound

 <<First     Latest>>   

Investigate the sound
Your torch seems to flare up slightly as you turn away from the path to the outside--and instead head back down the hall to search for the source of the sound. You repeat what you did before, peeking in the barred windows, until you find...

something that definitely wasn't here last time.


It's... like... pale bamboo...?

Strung across one of the previously empty rooms.

You're not sure what they are, but there's a lot of it. You lean a bit, trying to see where it's coming from because it seems to just... be there, hanging from one side of the room to the other at various angles. Sometimes the ... sections? Twitch? An odd sort of jerking motion that vaguely reminds you of a stick bug. Without actually walking into the room to take a better look, your best guess is that maybe these things are lodged in all the various cracks and holes. You don't see any mouths (or any other orifices that could have made that noise), but it's possible that whatever talky parts it has are still in the wall, too.

That would explain how it got here, as well, if this thing (or things, plural) can travel

through ... the walls.





wait a minute.






 <<First     Latest>>   


Rate this comic:

X X X X X
average rating: 5

21st Nov 2019, 5:49 PM
Xylas_Incarnum
Yeah, it is right behind you. might want to move.... instincts say you may want to just run out full tilt actually.
21st Nov 2019, 7:19 PM
Japster
+1
We can make friends once we're pretty sure that we're safe
21st Nov 2019, 8:20 PM
+1
And thats definately not bamboo. those look like leg bone segments attached with muscle and cartilage... with eyes
21st Nov 2019, 5:49 PM
"Hello there. *Please* be a friend." And let's back away *quickly.*

Edit: Also, focus on keeping the torch between it and ourselves. The shield is probably useless-- if it can go through walls, it can go through shields. It might still be harmed by fire, though, so fire is our only real possible defensive option.

Edit edit: apparently it's not phasing through walls, but squirming through cracks in them, I'm a dumb lol. In which case the shield might still work! So yes, keep torch AND shield between it and us. And do our best to greet it while not being near it.
21st Nov 2019, 5:59 PM
YetiOlwen
+1
Attempt a friendly first, and then a burny if friendly fails.
21st Nov 2019, 6:34 PM
21st Nov 2019, 6:04 PM
Portal In Time
+1, we say hello, fully geared to run if they prepare to lash out
21st Nov 2019, 8:43 PM
21st Nov 2019, 9:53 PM
22nd Nov 2019, 5:26 PM
21st Nov 2019, 5:52 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA TURN AROUND AND SWING THE TORCH BURN THE RED BITS AND THE EYES BURN IT AAAAAAAAAA
21st Nov 2019, 6:13 PM
undeadDreamer
Plaire. Run. Full tilt. I don't care which direction you pick, just as long as it isn't backwards.
21st Nov 2019, 7:53 PM
Oops hit the wrong reply button, I'm not in favor of running yet
21st Nov 2019, 6:19 PM
Use your crush souls dating experience and try to figure out how to date, or at least befreind, this friend
21st Nov 2019, 7:03 PM
undeadDreamer
I thought we should run, but you're right. We play *crush souls* dangit. We can handle this.
22nd Nov 2019, 2:20 AM
Time to test out those sweet fastroll skills.
21st Nov 2019, 6:26 PM
Kumondo
Seconding a spirited attempt at befriending the Bamboone Beast. Also keeping our guard up, 'cause we're not dumb. If it becomes clear that is it not friendly, then we should make our escape back towards where we found the pages and shield; if we go through the newly found door to the SW quadrant, then we will either be going to where it just was, or currently is, depending on it's size.
21st Nov 2019, 8:21 PM
Limrix
+1, we should be cautious both of jabbing and constricting maneuvers from this mass. Seeing something this strange is both terrifying and exciting.

"We make do with an old bamboo, and everyone applauds!"
21st Nov 2019, 6:26 PM
Attempt to greet it, but still keep the shield between you and it. Also, walk a bit so your back isn't facing the door anymore: if it does decide to turn hostile those gaps between the bars are the easiest way to get to you.
21st Nov 2019, 6:30 PM
+1 to Realize this isn't bamboo
21st Nov 2019, 7:08 PM
I'm glad it's not made of straight spine, but still definitely disconcerting. Whoever is in charge of this likely has a red, or at least a fake one. Or this could be its own flesh beast made just out of bones that also grew eyes just now? I'm betting on red, and with what we know so far, that's probably not great.
21st Nov 2019, 7:50 PM
Side note, whatever we do maneuver so we have our back to the empty hallway. I know it can still go through the floor or ceiling, but still not having a wall directly behind you would be smart.
21st Nov 2019, 8:25 PM
21st Nov 2019, 8:33 PM
Flirt with the strange bone creature/thing!
21st Nov 2019, 10:29 PM
Just as a general format suggestion: Having intractable (read: clickable) items in the text be underlined would help as some bolded items can't be clicked and some can.

I personally get around that problem by just hitting the tab key until the "first" button becomes highlighted but I could easily see a new reader doing an archive binge only to find out they missed a bunch of embedded links.

Heck, the About page is already setup like that.
22nd Nov 2019, 4:40 AM
I hadn't noticed that there were any links, so you're right about that at least.
22nd Nov 2019, 4:40 AM
I hadn't noticed that there were any links, so you're right about that at least.
22nd Nov 2019, 4:46 AM
Since I don't see anyone guessing what that thing is, here's my two cents.

That looks like bone, which would make the red parts ligament, <B>except</b> that there are parts of the bone that connect each part of the 'joint', preventing all but the slightest movement.

I think they're less bones and joints, and more <I>neurons, protected by</i> bones.

Oh, and then one has an eye. Which would require a nervous system. So yeah, function of a spine in the shape of an arm or leg.
22nd Nov 2019, 6:17 AM
My guess is that it killed the one we heard or used it's own talking capabilities to lure us. Assume defensive stance.
22nd Nov 2019, 6:17 AM
My guess is that it killed the one we heard or used it's own talking capabilities to lure us. Assume defensive stance.
22nd Nov 2019, 6:18 AM
Where's delete button?
22nd Nov 2019, 2:10 PM
Between the 'Edit' and 'Reply' ones, at the bottom right of your comment.
22nd Nov 2019, 2:27 PM
only for registered users
posting as a guest, you can neither edit not delete your comment
22nd Nov 2019, 4:28 PM
22nd Dec 2019, 5:37 PM
Dang, Morgenstern, you're good at making horror adventures. Here's hoping you can keep this one going.