20th Nov 2019, 8:38 PM
Acquire shield

 <<First     Latest>>   

Acquire shield
You give the shield a small kick.

It does not react, except in the way you'd expect a shield to. You pick it up.

You have acquired a small shield.

You also take the papers from the wall. One of them appears to be a map of this floor; the other, if you're reading this right, says that the surface of the sludgy water (and a possible exit?) should be one floor up from here. That means you're currently on the first basement level... and underwater.

Meanwhile, three floors down, there's... something else. A triangle with a circle in it?

The symbols used on both documents are pretty vague; you decide to head back and examine the first hallway, just to make sure it lines up with what the map is showing.

Before that, though, you approach the two barrels in the room. You give each of them a firm kick.

They do not react.

After several seconds of finagling with the lids, you realize that you have no idea how to properly open a barrel. The barrels definitely have something in them; they're so heavy that you can hardly start to lean them, and you definitely couldn't pick one up.

Leaving the barrels behind for the moment, you head back into the previous hall--past the cell with the corpse and the knife, past the ceiling leak, and past the cell you woke up in. Water continues to pour from your starting room and now reaches your ankles out in the hallway.

Near the end of the hall, you confirm the accuracy of the map. All of the doors lining this path look more or less the same; however, peering through the bars of one door on the south wall, you can see a short hallway that leads to a completely different cell block.



If the other page is accurate, as well, then that means you should be able to find a way out of here by continuing in this direction. On the other hand, there should be a path leading farther down in the north west corner of this floor. You're not sure what lies deeper into the prison, but someone felt it was important enough to write it down and pin it on the wall.

Just as you begin to contemplate which direction to head next, however--



you stop.



You hear something.

You could swear it sounded like



like a voice.




You tilt your head and listen.

You hear it again: a male voice, faint over the sound of rushing water and muffled by the brick walls.

You're not sure which cell it was in

but it wasn't from the knife room.

It was closer.

In fact, you're extremely sure it came from a room you've already looked in and confirmed as empty, one of the normal looking cells left of yours.

You wait



but you don't hear any additional vocalizing after that.

 <<First     Latest>>   


Rate this comic:

X X X X X
average rating: 5

20th Nov 2019, 10:19 PM
Might as well look inside the 'empty' cell the voice came from, just to make sure!
20th Nov 2019, 10:21 PM
Japster
Do this very cautiously
20th Nov 2019, 10:23 PM
Portal In Time
+1

Also, is the fire burning on the torch hot? We could probably use that to burn the barrels open.
20th Nov 2019, 10:35 PM
Barrels sometimes contain gunpowder. Please do not commit barrel torch.
20th Nov 2019, 11:52 PM
+1 To the avoiding fatal explosions
20th Nov 2019, 10:23 PM
+1

No harm in checking out the cell. Just be cautious about it.
20th Nov 2019, 10:41 PM
Here's my hypothesis.
This person heard Plaire shouting to the tumor-corpse. While Plaire was searching the room with the map and shield, the person came to the hallway to investigate the source of the shouts. They started entering the cells to examine them, and were inside one while Plaire walked back out of the map room-- so Plaire and this person just missed each other.

Additional hypothesis: This may be the shadowed figure that Plaire saw through the window earlier. This person is speaking either to someone else accompanying them, or muttering something under their breath.

We don't know this person's affiliation. For example, it could be one of the people who runs the prison. And even THAT could mean one of any number of things!
Maybe they were imprisoning Plaire and would be furious to see her escape. Maybe they were testing Plaire and are pleased to see her escape. Maybe they have absolutely nothing to do with Plaire and are baffled to see that a freckled redhead intruder in a striped shirt just sort of materialized in a cell somehow.
20th Nov 2019, 10:31 PM
20th Nov 2019, 10:33 PM
+1, maybe we'll get a party member!

re: Portal in Time's suggestion, wood that thick takes a long time to burn, and once it *did* burn through, it would likely damage whatever is inside it. So I say let's not do that. I'm sure we'll find an implement we can use to open a barrel soon.
21st Nov 2019, 1:05 AM
+1 to cautiously checking the "empty" cell, and to not setting the barrel on fire.
21st Nov 2019, 3:04 AM
Kumondo
+1 to cautiously seeking out the source of the voice. I also quite like Gigafreak's assessment of the situation. We're going to have to encounter whatever person this is to figure out more about where we are and what's going on.
To Plaire, just remember to keep an open mind, use your words first, and know where the exits are if we gotta run. And stay safe.

Also, a part of me suspects the voice came from our torch, but that's just silly, right?
20th Nov 2019, 10:22 PM
Ok gonna call it the guy is invisible.
20th Nov 2019, 10:24 PM
honestly before we engage a person id really like to have that knife. the bloater is kinda concerning tho
20th Nov 2019, 10:35 PM
The knife probably isn't going to do anything for us that the torch wouldn't do, in this situation. Taking the time out to go get it might be a problem, though-- if the person is an enemy, that gives them time to find us/prepare for us, and if they're a friend, they might be trapped and need help.
20th Nov 2019, 10:40 PM
If we investigate the voice remember - shield up, torch front. Do we remember how to properly perform a shield-bash? Don't wanna kill for mistake.
21st Nov 2019, 12:40 AM
Parallel line of thought:
Potential exit one floor up, potential ??? 3 floors down. If the way down isn't an exit, we'll have to go back up and this entire corridor might be flooded by then (unless we keep doors open so it drains over the entire floor).
Now if this follows game theory the long, dangerous way typically is the way to go, but I'm still unsure of the local rules. The puzzle was slightly unconventional for a first foray into this facility.
21st Nov 2019, 1:02 AM
A ner prisoner has just arived, maybe. Try to rescue him.
21st Nov 2019, 4:37 AM
Lunar Waffles
oh, yeah, check the paper again XD
21st Nov 2019, 10:55 AM
Frission
Perhaps we should do a sweep of all the cells on this floor before leaving, just in case others need rescuing as well